New OXM Scores + Rumors

Hardknock

Veteran
Ratings:

Dead Rising (Capcom): 8,5

Saints Row (THQ): 8,0
The Downsides were that you had to Drive/Walk to every single mission, through the entire City, Missing CheckPoints and Bikes. Positively rated (even above GTA they claim) was the 'Phantastic' Chaos in the City.

Frogger (XBLA, Konami): 8,0
Galaga (XBLA, Namco Bandai): 7,0
Pac-Man (XBLA, Namco Bandai): 6,5
Enchanted Arms (Ubisoft): 6,5
Madden NFL 07 (EA): 8,0
Lumines Live (Q Entertainment) - 8,5
Ninety-Nine Nights (Q Entertainment): 7,5
Street Fighter II' Hyper Fighting (XBLA, Capcom): 9,0
Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy (LucasArts): 8,5

Rumors:

A Black Xbox 360 with built-in HD-DVD Drive, HDMI A/V-Output, 250GB Harddisk and PVR Functions (With XboxLive/DirecTV) is planned for 600 US Dollar.

EA Canada is hard at work on a new Original Franchise.

Ubisoft Montreal is working on Splinter Cell 5

Zune will be getting Zuma but no Halo.

Demos:
F.E.A.R. (has FrameRate Issues)
Prey
Top Spin 2
Zegapain XOR (unlockable)

Link : http://www.gamersreports.com/news/3488/

Hardknock said:
A Black Xbox 360 with built-in HD-DVD Drive, HDMI A/V-Output, 250GB Harddisk and PVR Functions (With XboxLive/DirecTV) is planned for 600 US Dollar.

Urm yes please, I wish they did.

Look flying pigs. :p Seriously, that's more wishful thinking than based in reality. All we've heard so far doesn't even remotely hint at such a console being in the works. In two or three years, maybe (at the timeframe the PSX was released last gen).

Actually there's been talk of a DirectTV Blade being added to Xbox 360 before the end of he year. This may have something to do with that.

Actually there's been talk of a DirectTV Blade being added to Xbox 360 before the end of he year. This may have something to do with that.

Just what we need, a service that has a history of downrezzing their HD broadcasts on an HD Game Console.

I hope this is true I would save up for something like that. That would be damn sweet especially if I could record shows off the 360 and transfer them to my PC. So much potential if it has a dual tuner like all the other direct tv PVRs. I want this so bad I can guarentee it won't come out at all. This would be like the perfect box for me damn way to good to be true.

Just what we need, a service that has a history of downrezzing their HD broadcasts on an HD Game Console.

That should be fixed next year when they get 2 more sats up. They got the first 2 up for some local stations HD and RSN. The next 2 should give them the capacity for 500 local markets in HD and 150 national HD networks. This has been the plan for a while since I love my tivo so much I will give them time to let it unfold. The bad thing is that inorder to get all these channels you will need the new direct tv DVR which is not tivo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the official press release announcing the MS/DirecTV partnership. Doesnt make the rumor any more true, just makes it very easy to throw something DirecTV into anything someone wants to make up.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/jan06/01-05WMDIRECTVPR.mspx

Basically, you'll be able to use the new DirecTV box as a media extender or pipe the content from the box TO a Windows PC or PFS media device. The 360 looks like it will be able to extend video from a DirecTV box to the console. I'm sure there will also be DirecTV exclusive content that youll be able to download or stream to your 360 over the net if you dont have a DTV box.

I think a black one is a distinct possibility though, i can see that coming out around the holidays.

EDIT: Prediction:later this year xbox live silver adds online play for free and DirecTV content like movies, shows, and concerts become part of gold.

I guess DIRECTV is pretty much a U.S only thing, am I right?
The black xbox360 etc... would have very limited appeal outside U.S. especially as it directly competes in price with the PS3 (or would even be more expensive, as I doubt that thing would launch before the first PS3 pricecut).
Plus, you'd need a DIRECTV set top box in addition, and a subscribtion.

I guess DIRECTV is pretty much a U.S only thing, am I right?
The black xbox360 etc... would have very limited appeal outside U.S. especially as it directly competes in price with the PS3 (or would even be more expensive, as I doubt that thing would launch before the first PS3 pricecut).

I dont know if the actual satellite service is US only but i presume the contract is not only for hardware interoperability, but for the content over XBL and the internet to windows as well. So while the hardware piece with the set top box may be limited to the US, anything to do with windows, the 360, and the content itself (or any combination of the above), would be global.

I dont know why you would think that a 'loaded' black 360 would be any harder to release this year than the PS3, similarly equipped. Theoretically it should be even easier to do since it would only be a refresh of what theyve done already. The only differences being the addition of HDMI and HDDVD (and we know the HD-DVD drive and associated 360 interface/software is announced already for release in 2006).

Look flying pigs. :p Seriously, that's more wishful thinking than based in reality. All we've heard so far doesn't even remotely hint at such a console being in the works. In two or three years, maybe (at the timeframe the PSX was released last gen).
Curious - what, exactly, would take two or three years about any of that?

Yeah, not only that, but even regular SD stuff is crap too. I have DTV, and over the years the quality of the video has gone down...

Urm yes please, I wish they did.

At first, I was about to say, hell yes I would buy it. But given a couple of minutes to think about it, I'm not sure I would want my game console to be my DVR. I mean, it'll be great if my 360 could be an extender to my DTV DVR, but when it comes down to it, I rather have two devices instead of one.

This would be a smart move imo. How realistic is it though?...

points for:

- We have seen images appearing to show an HDMI port embedded on the motherboard.
- Limited edition black items are more desirable when the only alternative is white. Apple know this well (eg, black ipod, black mac book)
- A 'limited edition' colour change isn't out of the question from MS. Remember the crystal xbox.
- Everyone loves more HDD space. The mass market will compare 250gb vs 60gb PS3 and conclude the 360 is better*.
- A logical next step is moving to a full media centre for the 360. (media wise)
- Firingsquad have quotes from gamefest that MS is still considering how best to implement HDMI (and if at all)**
- MS/DirectTV deal.
- At least in the US, I assume there is significant name-brand recognition of DirectTV (?)
- Toshiba would be rather chuffed
- Toshiba would likely provide the hdd?
- And of course it would compete very well with the PS3

points against:

- MS have consistently denied rumours that they plan to put an HD-DVD drive in the 360. Then again MS don't normally comment on rumours. Maybe it will be called the DirectXbox 360 to bypass this. :p
- This would require a full size HDD?
- AFAIK 2.5" drives are only available in 200gb sizes. 250gb in 2.5" would be very expensive.

* I have been told by two people they would rather a PS3 because it's ~ '10x faster' due to it's 'extra gigabytes'. Then again someone once told me it was 200x faster.
** http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=11691

Back