new Daytona a possibility says Sega Racing Studio

jarrod said:
In the new Edge, there's a pretty good interview with the director for the new SEGA Racing Studio... not only did it somewhat dispell my fears about Sega Rally Revo (it's going to be a purebred AC racer, lots of ephasis of Blue-Sky classic SEGA AC aesthetic, handling largely modeled off SR1) but the guy also hinted at what the studio's next project might be... and (surprisingly) a Daytona revival was one of the possibilities mentioned. :D

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5640404&postcount=73

I'd be thrilled for a new Daytona on Xbox 360, PS3, as well as seperate version for Wii.

especially if the original two (actually 3) arcade games were included, each seperate in their entirety, completely unchanged, packaged with the new game. We're all aware that Daytona has never been adaquately ported home with out some severe issues - on Saturn it was the visuals, on Dreamcast it was the controls and handling even after making adjustments to the analog sensitivity.

I welcome a Daytona revival.

Great news if true.
With that said, I'd prefer if it was an AM2 product. But first, let's wait for Sega Rally Evo and see how this new studio is doing gameplay wise, before passing any judgement.

I d love this to be true.

And this time I hope they add more lastability too ;)

Daytona was a grate arcade experience

Great news if true.
With that said, I'd prefer if it was an AM2 product. But first, let's wait for Sega Rally Evo and see how this new studio is doing gameplay wise, before passing any judgement.

I'm very anxious too see how Sega Rally Revo turns out
(actually Crazy Taxi also, as they're also handling a new CT incarnation).

in 2001, Daytona USA 3 was slated as a Dreamcast game. I assume that was to be handled by the same team of Amusement Vision + Genki that made Daytona USA 2001, but most DC games were terminated.

then in 2002 came word via The Stinger Report (arcade industry newsletter) that Daytona USA 3 was being developed by Amusement Vision for the NAOMI 2. Then Stinger Report said Daytona 3 was going to be an Xbox-arcade & console under the name Daytona Live headed by Yu Suzuki's AM2.

since that, anything on a new Daytona has gone dead cold. until now.

Yeah I'd prefer an AM2 or Amusement Vision developed Daytona.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always loved the daytona games in the arcades since a couple years ago :D

A new daytona would definately be good news. Hopefully Rally Evo turns out ok :)

Daytona is nice, but I think I'd rather see the return of Super GT.

damn right! I wonder why none of us mentioned it.

That racer was a BLAST!

I wish I had my hands on it! And I also wonder why Sega burried such a marvelous arcade racer. No release on the DC and no sequels

Daytona is nice, but I think I'd rather see the return of Super GT.

yeah, I very much want Scud Race / Sega Super GT on the new current-gen consoles, as well as a sequel. Yet I want carbon-copy reproductions of Daytona USA, Daytona USA 2 and a new Daytona even more.

I would like to see all of the AM2 era Sega racing franchises resurected in one form or another. The one caveat is that the reason the games were great was because of the immersion from the arcade cabinets and force-feedback. I spent many quarters on Daytona USA years back and one of my greatest gaming triumphs was finishing in the top 5 for the first time.

:?: P.S. Curious. What units did many of you Euro folks use for arcade machines in the early to mid 90s. Was it the quarter equivalent. franc/4, pound/4...etc.

I would like to see all of the AM2 era Sega racing franchises resurected in one form or another. The one caveat is that the reason the games were great was because of the immersion from the arcade cabinets and force-feedback. I spent many quarters on Daytona USA years back and one of my greatest gaming triumphs was finishing in the top 5 for the first time.
oh yes ;)

The cabinet really made a difference

:?: P.S. Curious. What units did many of you Euro folks use for arcade machines in the early to mid 90s. Was it the quarter equivalent. franc/4, pound/4...etc.

heh depends what period during the mid 90s you are refering to. 90-96 I remember the big aracde machines took around 20cents/1CY pound (1/5 of pound) from where I was. The small/normal arcade took 10cents. After that period the big arcade machines (like Daytona on the big Cabinet) were 50cents(1/2 of pound) and the small 20cents

I really miss the good days when arcades were alive and kicking :(

oh yes ;)

The cabinet really made a difference

heh depends what period during the mid 90s you are refering to. 90-96 I remember the big aracde machines took around 20cents/1CY pound (1/5 of pound) from where I was. The small/normal arcade took 10cents. After that period the big arcade machines (like Daytona on the big Cabinet) were 50cents(1/2 of pound) and the small 20cents

I really miss the good days when arcades were alive and kicking :(

the god ol days are still here, just not in america :) Yeah, I really miss the arcades too, even though I'm so content with my x360 (and maybe ps3 in the future ? :D)

I remember how a lot of 3d racing arcade cabinets where a rip off here, it was more like paying 10 francs (somewhere around two dollars), you crossed a few checkpoints then you were fucked (time out). ridge racer and the motorbike game were like that.

I remember how a lot of 3d racing arcade cabinets where a rip off here, it was more like paying 10 francs (somewhere around two dollars), you crossed a few checkpoints then you were fucked (time out). ridge racer and the motorbike game were like that.

I hated it. That's why I avoided going there ..

From what I recall, Daytona initially costed 3/4USD and 1/2USD to continue. I shared the aggravation of wasting coinage in half a minute through pure sucketude. It probably cost me 40USD just to get proficient enough to finish a race...and it was worth it at the time;)

Arcades in the USD are alive but not kicking which I find really :cry: There are these massive "sports bars" that have a number of arcade kiosks which look fun but I go to the places to watch sporting events while getting drunk. I truly miss the seedier arcades in my city. Places I used to go into and smoke (before an evil smoke ban was imposed by fascistas) and sometimes just watch masters in the art of fighting games destroy each other. Mem - o - ries

I truly miss the seedier arcades in my city. Places I used to go into and smoke (before an evil smoke ban was imposed by fascistas) and sometimes just watch masters in the art of fighting games destroy each other. Mem - o - ries

Yeah, of course you should have the right to blow poison at other people at your own leisure. Can I come over and incect some arsenik into you?

Back