need suggestions for new rig!

Beezer

Newcomer
Building a new rig. Plan to oc with good aircooling.

opty 165
2 gigs ram (good ram like ocz)
ocz 520 powerstream psu
dfi ultra-d lanparty mobo
74gb raptor

Heres where Im confused what to do.

A) Dell 2005fpw + 7800gt $730
B) 350$ish 19" lcd from newegg + x1900xt $850

Cant really spend more then that, its already pushing it. I wanna play games like BF2 and have them run great, but would combo A achieve this at the dell native rez and the 7800gt? I know the x1900xt at 1280x1024 will run everything great, and future games too for a while.....but is it total overkill at that resolution?

I would like to hear everyones opinions. A or B, and why. Thanks!

I would say it depends on how much time you spend using AA and AF (so to say, playing games) compared to how much time you spend on your computer doing other stuff... if gaming is just a 10-20% of the time I would go with the bigger and better monitor... if you spend +50% playing games then definetly get the X1900... if you are somewhere in between then I don't know :D

Ask yourself which are you more likely to want to upgrade in the future: the monitor or the graphics card?

Yeah I was going to say the same.

The x1900 will be totally outdated shortly as will the 7800, but the monitor will not.

Unfortunately, the tangentially related discussion on HDCP protection means that the monitor may be outdated. That is where the rub lies if you ask me...But you did not. Still if you are wondering that is where you should put your effort into discovering whether you think you will hang onto the monitor for awhile then I would definitely reccomend getting the 7800 and the better LCD.

Back