need help purchasing a new motherboard

daweasle

Newcomer
I have found a ECS K7 VTA3 motherboard which says it's compatible with AGB 4X. Its on sale and I was going to buy it - except the ATI Radeon 9200 video card I have is 8X and I was unsure if I will be able to use it.

Does anyone know if an 8X video card will play on a motherboard that says it's 4X?

I'm just wondering before I buy so I don't have to deal with the BS of returning it......

thanks for any help you might offer.
wes

Personally I find ECS make variable quality motherboards that are most often crap. After a few friends bought against my advice they have had no end of woes.

I would advise spend a bit more for the central component of your system that makes all your other components work! Consider ABIT, ASUS, MSI and TYAN. At a rung below that quality are brands like GIGABYTE. About two or three rungs below this is ECS. SOmetimes they work, sometimes they don't - it appears about 50 - 50 viewing chat room forums of people praising their ECS boards or saying they're total shit. And all the noise is about the same models - so that yells a quality control problem on a cheap to produce board to me.

Back