Mystery Jet goes 5-6x speed of light

I thought speed of light was the maximum speed that is obtainable?

It's the maximum speed of exchanging information (i.e. causal relationship). It's easy to create an illusion that moves faster than light. For example, you can use a big spotlight to create a light spot on a high cloud, and when you turn the spotlight quickly the light spot moves extremely fast and can easily exceed the speed of light. Of course, nothing really "moves" and there's no information exchange.

It's the maximum speed of exchanging information (i.e. causal relationship). It's easy to create an illusion that moves faster than light. For example, you can use a big spotlight to create a light spot on a high cloud, and when you turn the spotlight quickly the light spot moves extremely fast and can easily exceed the speed of light. Of course, nothing really "moves" and there's no information exchange.

There is information exchange, the photons hitting your eye reflected from the cloud, hence it cannot be faster than light.

There is information exchange, the photons hitting your eye reflected from the cloud, hence it cannot be faster than light.

No, they are different photons, reflecting from different position of the cloud. An analogy is to have an array of light and pre-program them to turn on and off at different time to create an illusion of a moving light. This illusion can move faster than light if you make the time close enough.

Back