_xxx_

Banned
I got rid of both my desktop-PC and my old HTPC and just ordered this:

sbhb02.jpg

xC Cube EZ482
A64 3500+ Venice
2GB DDR400 CL3-3-3 1T
X1800GTO 256MB
NEC ND4570 DVD-burner (DL, DVD+/-R/RW/RAM)
250GB/7200rpm/8MB S-ATA II HDD Samsung

Haven't decided about the TV-card yet, think I'll go with Hauppauge PVR-150 unless I find their DVB-S card for cheap.

Now I'm familiar with all the components, but the ATI RS482 + IXPSB450 chipset is a mistery to me. Anyone used this in any board? Good or bad? I can still switch it for something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Geo
I have a fan on my case that's larger than that tiny thing!

Its nice, I've been interesting in a small system like that for my next big upgrade, we'll see though.

ANova said:
Why did you get rid of your desktop AND htpc? If I may ask.

To make room and have an "all-in-one" machine instead of one fast and one lame one. I had a desktop-PC with all bells and whistles in my room and the old XP3000+/512MB RAM/GF5200 128MB in the living room as a media/net machine. Now I bought this baby so I can also play games and do all in the living room, new 32" or maybe 37" TV coming next week. Bluetooth keyb.+mouse, so I'll be doing everything including gaming while chilling on my sofa, pure joy.

Tahir2 said:
The chipset is fine - not had any real problems here.

Thanks! I read some reviews as well and everyone's been rather satisfied too.

digi: it's got that iPod kinda colour, it's definitely a matter of taste. I like it, though I took this one because of the good PSU, nice cooling and the silent operation. It can also swallow longer gfx-cards without problems. And btw, it won the "Good Design Award 2004-2005" :)

I'll write a little "review" when I have it up and running.

Last edited by a moderator:
_xxx_ said:
To make room and have an "all-in-one" machine instead of one fast and one lame one. I had a desktop-PC with all bells and whistles in my room and the old XP3000+/512MB RAM/GF5200 128MB in the living room as a media/net machine. Now I bought this baby so I can also play games and do all in the living room, new 32" or maybe 37" TV coming next week. Bluetooth keyb.+mouse, so I'll be doing everything including gaming while chilling on my sofa, pure joy.
Sounds like fun. :)

Using a DFI Lanparty CF (not the 3200 which uses the RD580) I managed to get a modest overclock from 2.0GHz to 2.5GHz on a standard 3200 A64 - with some old Kingston Value RAM of his running at 208MHz... tomorrow arrives his X1900 XT and some more testing before the customer collects.

The DFI boards are in a league of their own - both NF4 and RD480/580.

I was at work when it came, it took me less than an hour actually :)

Works fine. I played Prey demo, Xpand Rally and D3 RoE a bit yesterday and it ran without glitches. While I ran no benchies, subjectively it feels just as fast as the 1800XT in my old machine.

The only thing that could become a problem is the HDD, the bugger gets VERY hot. Works still fine, but it'll shorten the life cycle of the HW if I don't cool it. There's not much room for an additional cooler in there, so I'll have to think of something.

Does anyone know of a very thin cooler (less than 1.5 cm) which I could slide in under the HDD?

_xxx_ said:
I was at work when it came, it took me less than an hour actually :)

Works fine. I played Prey demo, Xpand Rally and D3 RoE a bit yesterday and it ran without glitches. While I ran no benchies, subjectively it feels just as fast as the 1800XT in my old machine.

The only thing that could become a problem is the HDD, the bugger gets VERY hot. Works still fine, but it'll shorten the life cycle of the HW if I don't cool it. There's not much room for an additional cooler in there, so I'll have to think of something.

Does anyone know of a very thin cooler (less than 1.5 cm) which I could slide in under the HDD?

Well you could always go to water cooling and they have those, but that would open up a whole new hassle.

Nah, the water's just too wet for my taste ;)

I switched the slots and it seems to be acceptable now, I'll prolly update the CPU cooler to something with more oomph. That should solve the problem completely (the HDD is exactly in the air stream now).

Back