MY AC is borked.

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Damn it, damn it, DAMN IT! I loved this house's AC, it was truly awesome. Now it's not pumping nothing but hot air, and I do not know why.

AC ain't my strong suit, but the system looks fine. Everything is running as it should, I'm hoping we just need a recharge of whatever.

On the brightside it got me off my lazy arse and I've rescreened half the downstairs window in pet proof screening. I love the stuff! Horrid to work with, but damn near indestructible once it's in.

At least there is a nice breeze, this house breaths well. I'm thinking of taking some of the spare pet screening and making a new side for my case since my 250mm fan has died the final death.

Living without AC becomes hard when temps rise to 28C+ every day. It starts to get very warm indoors too, and after a couple days the entire structure of the house has heated up, making temps linger at high levels even during the night, making it uncomfortable to sleep too.

What does pet screen look like? Also you CAN live without AC! :mrgreen:
Like this:

pet_screen.jpg

Haven't had a real need for AC at all this year. Shit, my fireplace is still going strong on some nights around here.

Digi, you need to call a professional to come look at your AC!

Living without AC becomes hard when temps rise to 28C+ every day. It starts to get very warm indoors too, and after a couple days the entire structure of the house has heated up, making temps linger at high levels even during the night, making it uncomfortable to sleep too.

Life is hard when you have to survive on a hand of rice every day. 28C+ everyday is unpleasant at worst. Humidity is a lot worse. Kyoto life has thought me that. 30C+ in Spain is no problem, its just hot. You can still do stuff. But 24C with humidity high enough to wish you had gills instead of lungs is a lot harder. Ahh just another 2 weeks or so before there is no point in going outside wearing anything else than swimming gear. The joy :LOL:

(ps. I have to leave in 2 months, but afterwards got 6 months on my visa left. Anybody has/knows somebody that can offer a (partime)job or internship please do contact me. I dont wanne leave :()

Life is hard when you have to survive on a hand of rice every day. 28C+ everyday is unpleasant at worst. Humidity is a lot worse. Kyoto life has thought me that. 30C+ in Spain is no problem, its just hot. You can still do stuff. But 24C with humidity high enough to wish you had gills instead of lungs is a lot harder. Ahh just another 2 weeks or so before there is no point in going outside wearing anything else than swimming gear. The joy :LOL:

No kidding. According to Yahoo weather, at where I live, it's currently 28C but it "feels like" 33C because the relative humidity is 84%. Imagine when it's actually 35C outside (it was last week)...

dig is in a humid place...as am I. We regularly hit 32+ C with 90%+ RH. Without AC this sucks.

Funny thing, said "Hey!" to my neighbor backing down the driveway and a conversation about my house windows being open ensued. Turns out her husband is a licensed HVAC guy and has his own tank of freon in the garage and she volunteered him to come over and take a look at it. :)

Life = getting better.

No kidding. According to Yahoo weather, at where I live, it's currently 28C but it "feels like" 33C because the relative humidity is 84%. Imagine when it's actually 35C outside (it was last week)...

that's nice, fun info. it's 29C "feels like" 31C with 58%, right now.
not great but not bad.

my bicycle is down at the moment (both tires flat), this is a lot more life-threatening condition than lack of AC. :)

It's 32 C here right now and feels like 35 C with the humidity (which is a very low 58% right now)

When I lived in Albuquerque it could be 38-40 and quite comfortable in the shade as it was so arid.

Life is hard when you have to survive on a hand of rice every day. 28C+ everyday is unpleasant at worst.
Oh please, let's not have that kind of discussion, you know what I mean...or if you don't you can go to hell! :D

Btw, I don't have AC, and trying to sleep when it's a constant near-30C all night long ISN'T FUN. I'm one of those guys who prefer 16C at most in my bedroom. Cold winters are the best for me, I have a fresh air inlet in my bedroom where air comes straight in from outside, if it's wide open all day long and the bedroom door open just a crack to create some ventilation I can get the temps down to 12ish C, maybe even lower. Going to bed you shiver the first minute or so until the bed's warmed up, but then... AAAAH! SUCH BLISS!

Well not hard for me to imagine cause when I am in my home country its normal for me, as the temperature during summers can reach 48C. Imagine that with medium humidity :p .
Though it can actually get pretty pleasant when its around 30-35 with low humidity and you stay in a shade.

I'm currently in Liverpool and the temp is 20c/15c on average, I think its nice cause we even get the sunshine for a while everyday....heh !

It's 32 C here right now and feels like 35 C with the humidity (which is a very low 58% right now)

When I lived in Albuquerque it could be 38-40 and quite comfortable in the shade as it was so arid.

That sounds to me like cold beer weather... :p

it was 42.222C earlier this week, according to a metric calc I used. Last week it was 43.333

When you live in Texas, AC is pretty much needed. I went a summer without AC(Or any electricity) back in 2007, when it hit 45C or so, setting state and local records for heat.

Christ that was miserable.

Oh please, let's not have that kind of discussion, you know what I mean...or if you don't you can go to hell! :D

Btw, I don't have AC, and trying to sleep when it's a constant near-30C all night long ISN'T FUN. I'm one of those guys who prefer 16C at most in my bedroom. Cold winters are the best for me, I have a fresh air inlet in my bedroom where air comes straight in from outside, if it's wide open all day long and the bedroom door open just a crack to create some ventilation I can get the temps down to 12ish C, maybe even lower. Going to bed you shiver the first minute or so until the bed's warmed up, but then... AAAAH! SUCH BLISS!

ditto.
I worked on a night shift during a summer, an intensive job (carrying the crap that comes from airmail shipping). sleeping with temperatures from 30C to 35C.
NOT FUN :) thus I can quite understand why people on AC might find it mandatory to live a decent life.

but still, I believe it's mostly useful in a room for elders to survive summer or a heat wave, or in a server room.
nights over 20C begin killing old people by the way.

It was 92f in the house yesterday without AC, which is about 33.3333333c I think; today with it working again it's 73f solid (22.77c).

Ended up spending an hour or two taking apart the unit with the neighbor and troubleshooting it, turned out to be a nasty hole in the condenser coils that we couldn't get at to braze so he referred me to a friend who was an HVAC guy. His buddy was nice enough to come out right away and we spent another 2-3 hours taking it all apart and fixing it and replacing all the R22. (Freon)

$359us, but oh so worth it. I would have never been able to fix it on my own, but I got to learn a lot helping. :)

And as a few mentioned, it's not the heat so much as the humidity. Without the AC running the house feels muggy and oppressive, with it on the air is all crisp/dry/delicious.

I'm in a bit of lazy heaven today after yesterday, and I'm loving it.

Freon is still legal to use in the US? :oops: (And you actually use it even though it kills our ozone? :()

Back