Musk bought Twitter, what hasn't gone wrong?

https://markets.businessinsider.com...ed-126-billion-elon-musks-twitter-deal-2022-4

Tesla's stock lost $126 billion in market value the day after Elon Musk struck a deal to buy Twitter for $44 billion
  • On Tuesday, Tesla lost $126 billion in value after its CEO, Elon Musk, clinched a deal to buy Twitter.
  • Investors fear that Musk may sell some of his Tesla stock to fund his Twitter takeover.
  • Musk's personal stake in Tesla has fallen by $40 billion in value this month.

This is completely true.
Though I do like him in some things, if it wasnt for his drive there would be no chance in hell that there may be ppl walking soon on the moon and mars, or electric vehicles would now be the dominant selling vehicles in a decade.
Sure theres a lot of shit with his personality but look at all the nameless billionaires who we know nothing about, eg the worlds 3rd richest person. Bernard Arnault, What has he done thats positively impacted the world and all the 100s of nameless others like him, Sure theres the occasional one like Soros or Gates by by in large they are mostly how can I enrich my share of the pie.
The world needs a 5% wealth tax

Not only that but Bill Gates is buying up tons of farm land in the United states and no one bats an eye but Musk bought twitter a digital platform that anyone can go out and make.

Not only that but Bill Gates is buying up tons of farm land in the United states and no one bats an eye
Is there something nefarious abut Bill Gates buying land? I suppose he could be buying a lot of dead bodies, but land is generally a good investment and certainly isn't going to impact 200m + people, unlike knobface buying Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if it's the same in the US, but in the UK, there is no inheritance tax on farmland. It's why James Dyson is now one of the biggest farmers in the UK. His kids will inherit more wealth in due course.

Regardless, even if the farmland inheritance situation in the US is the same, I'm not quite sure how that squares with Gates' pledge to give most of his wealth to charitable causes.

I'm guess something to do with having control of vast amounts of raw food production.
I thought Gates was heavily into sustainable food sources, he's been promoting synthetics like Beyond Meat for a while now.

I thought Gates was heavily into sustainable food sources, he's been promoting synthetics like Beyond Meat for a while now.
I'm not sure, I'm just trying to think of why conservative wouldn't like it. I'm sure there's some logical reason behind the apprehension, maybe Bill will turn it all into potato farms for McDonalds.

The fact that eastman mentions Gates buying farmland as if it is something sinister leads me to believe it must be one of the current right-wing conspiracies in circulation. Quite what he could be doing with farmland which is sinister is beyond me, but then a ludicrous number of people believed the QAnon stuff as well. Any sort of imagined whacky shit could well be the reason why some people think Gates is up to no good.

Any sort of imagined whacky shit could well be the reason why some people think Gates is up to no good.
I remember when anything Bill Gates was doing was probably nefarious but for years now the guy has been trying is eradicate malaria and feed starving kids.

It does seem strange that Gates is seen as the wrong sort of billionaire entrepreneur for the American right. I blame the philanthropy. See also Warren Buffet.

The fact that eastman mentions Gates buying farmland as if it is something sinister leads me to believe it must be one of the current right-wing conspiracies in circulation. Quite what he could be doing with farmland which is sinister is beyond me, but then a ludicrous number of people believed the QAnon stuff as well. Any sort of imagined whacky shit could well be the reason why some people think Gates is up to no good.

I actually don't care to much about it one way or another. Others due however https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/apr/05/bill-gates-climate-crisis-farmland

I am just asking why is it alright for Gates to buy up farm land which you know only a certain amount of it exists and no one really says anything. But everyone can't stop talking about Musk buying twitter which is just a social media company that really anyone can create.

I mean until twitter and amazon conspired to kill parlor it was gaining users at a quick pace beating out other social media programs on the app store. Now truth social is doing the same in comparison to other platforms. Eevn sites like gab have increased in size drastically. So it should be childs play for someone to make a twitter clone for the left and have lots of people sign up for it.

So it should be childs play for someone to make a twitter clone for the left and have lots of people sign up for it.
I guess it's not that easy given how unsuccessful Trump attempt at it is (though it seems to have regained some interest after the Orange Clown said he would not come back to Twitter).

I guess it's not that easy given how unsuccessful Trump attempt at it is (though it seems to have regained some interest after the Orange Clown said he would not come back to Twitter).
Truth seems to be doing well. It was released to IOS only in early access and has been one of the top app downloads since. I fully expect once it goes live on both platforms it will take off. Remember it launched on ios in Feb of this year.

Getting too political.
I think musk has a decent point here. In a world where political groups split off to their own echo chambers; it’s probably better you force them to use the same platform instead.

Truth seems to be doing well. It was released to IOS only in early access and has been one of the top app downloads since. I fully expect once it goes live on both platforms it will take off. Remember it launched on ios in Feb of this year.
Good point. I will object that a high number of downloads doesn't necessarily mean a lot of use. But you're right it's too early to qualify it as a failure.

Back