Multiplatform Games: Anti-aliasing Sampling and Performance Thread

Shortbread

Island Hopper
Legend
I figured I start a thread based around the current generation of multiplatform games (PC) and how different IQ settings can affect performance. Starting with Ryse: Son of Rome and working my way from there.

Ryse Settings (Vsync Enabled):
* 1080p
* Maxed graphical settings.
* Support CF/SLI: No
* 2x supersampling performance: 32fps max / 26fps average / 22fps lowest
* 1.5 supersampling performance: 44fps max / 37fps average / 32fps lowest
* No supersampling performance: 60fps max / 58fps average / 58fps lowest

Ryse Settings (Vsync Disabled):
* 1080p
* 2x supersampling performance: 45fps max / 34fps average / 30fps lowest (medium tearing)
* 1.5 supersampling performance: 80fps max / 74fps average / 65fps lowest (slight tearing)
* No supersampling performance: 89fps max / 86fps average / 83fps lowest (slight tearing)

Click photo for original size:
Ryse2014-11-0303-21-02-54_zps99a35148.png~original

Ryse2014-11-0303-25-02-96_zps1f8c8176.png~original

Ryse2014-11-0303-29-56-07_zps096c82a9.png~original

Ryse2014-11-0304-25-08-78_zps4140bbfd.png~original

Ryse2014-11-0304-27-36-63_zps7d0c9c98.png~original

Ryse2014-11-0304-34-31-95_zps5d42a3c4.png~original

Graphically speaking, Ryse is a very gorgeous game, even without supersampling enabled, the IQ is still very clean. Honestly, there really isn't any glaring/startling differences between the sampling settings, other than performance rates (fps). See link below on comparing the different sampling settings.

Uncompressed photos: https://www.mediafire.com/?xcmu1xh84lda1pv

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations at the moment at something like 3674x1536 on my 21:9 2560x1080 with 2xMSAA to clean up some leftover aliasing and it's amazing performance and quality on my 970. Really liking this control panel forced DSR for older games.

Would be good to know what kind of hardware you're running.

CPU: Dual Intel Xeon X5675 6-core models.
GPU: Radeon R9 295x2
Motherboard: EVGA SR-2
RAM: 24GB
HDD: 4 Intel SSD 500GB models
PSU: 1600 watt

Pics: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=65193

I'm playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations at the moment at something like 3674x1536 on my 21:9 2560x1080 with 2xMSAA to clean up some leftover aliasing and it's amazing performance and quality on my 970. Really liking this control panel forced DSR for older games.

Sounds good. :cool:

Malo, if possible post some pictures and possibly a download link to the uncompressed photos. I should be adding 4K pictures soon... as of now, the man cave is being worked on and my TV is being held hostage. :/

CPU: Dual Intel Xeon X5675 6-core models.
GPU: Radeon R9 295x2
Motherboard: EVGA SR-2
RAM: 24GB
HDD: 4 Intel SSD 500GB models

Holy crap that's quite a system! I guess crossfire isn't working too well though as i'd expect much higher performance otherwise.

Holy crap that's quite a system! I guess crossfire isn't working too well though as i'd expect much higher performance otherwise.

I'm pretty sure it's not crossfire compatible... but I will check MSI Afterburner data later. It could also be that I have Vsync enabled for 60fps gameplay. I tend to Vsync most my PC games... somewhat a sin amongst PC gamers.

A sin? I've always vsync + tripple buffer everything I can. Not very useful for pure benchmarking but without something like GSync it's the best I can get. I've yet to play with the Adaptive Vsync yet though.

Yeah I always play with vsync. In some games vsync causes wacko input lag but if you cap fps at 60 or 30 that goes away (Elder Scrolls/Fallout games are like this).

I would love a gsync monitor but right now the only options are crazy expensive TN panels and even though they aren't that bad the vertical view angles still suck and that bothers me. 1080p IPS gsync please.

Hey Malo which model 970 did you get? I'm going to order one tonight or tomorrow, and it looks like the winner is the MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G (best available that's in stock anyway).

Also I can't remember what you upgraded from, but did you notice a big difference?

Hey Malo which model 970 did you get? I'm going to order one tonight or tomorrow, and it looks like the winner is the MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G (best available that's in stock anyway).

Also I can't remember what you upgraded from, but did you notice a big difference?

I got that exact model :smile: I went from an MSI TwinFrozr 7870 2Gb so damn straight I noticed the difference! I went for that MSI version because I love their coolers, had great experience with my MSI 7870 and the size is perfect for my mid-tower. The MSI 970 has about 1/4 inch spare in my case.

Sweet!

I was considering the Gigabyte triple fan model, which has more video outputs and is looooong :oops:. It will still fit in my case (even in my brother's mini-ITX case), but I've read that for being so huge it isn't any more effective than the MSI model.

I'm upgrading from a 2GB GTX670 so not as big of a difference than you coming from a 7870, but I wanna peg these new games at 60fps all the time. Plus I can donate the 670 to my old computer which rocks a GTX260.

BTW the MSI card is out of stock again. Son of a bitch :cry:

Hey NVIDIA is now bundling either the new Ass Creed, Far Cry 4, or The Crew with their high end cards! Icing on the cake!!

Yeah I noticed the bonus game, bastards.

The MSI Gaming sells very fast, you need to be quick. I had alerts from nowinstock.net instantly to my phone via text, email etc. and I still couldn't get one for weeks as I wasn't fast enough to go through the buying process on Newegg.

It's been in stock literally every time I've checked in the last 2 days. Went out of stock right before I decided to purchase.

The eVGA model looks appealing. There are lots of complaints about coil whine, but apparently eVGA is RMAing the whiny cards. I consider them to be the best AIB partner in the world. I used their step-up program to go from a 320MB 8800GTS to a 512MB 8800GT FOR FREE! The whole process only took a few days and I only had to pay shipping. Now that's customer service!

I took a few screenshots of Star Citizen DSR from 5120x2160 to 2560x1080 and interestingly the screenshots are the full original resolution. So that's not very useful to actually compare with. I'm not even sure the Gaussian filter is applied either in the screenshots.

ScreenShot0002.jpg

ScreenShot0003.jpg

Same thing with Assassin's Creed

ACR00001.jpg

ACR00002.jpg

Malo, does Star Citizen DSR support AA? The SC: DSR pictures look nice, however, some AA is needed in some areas.

FYI: Updated Ryse post with Vsync disabled.

The Evil Within

MSI Afterburner showing CPU/GPU/VRAM/RAM usage across my system. Use the first photo as a guide.

The Evil Within (Vsync Enabled):
* 1080p
* CPU multithreading: Yes
* CPU multithreading across CPU sockets: No
* Performance: 60fps max / 57fps average / 45fps lowest
* VRAM usage: 3-3.7GB
* System RAM usage: 6-9GB (8.4GB range mostly)

Legend_zps1c97b0d7.jpg~original

TEW3_zpsdf54b6c4.jpg~original

TEW6_zpsd4525701.jpg~original

TEW18_zpsf80176c1.jpg~original

TEW20_zpse284daa2.jpg~original

TEW23_zps95ecef49.jpg~original

I took a few screenshots of Star Citizen DSR from 5120x2160 to 2560x1080 and interestingly the screenshots are the full original resolution. So that's not very useful to actually compare with.

That's what happens when you screencap with dsr enabled. Scott at TechReport had to use his FCAT capture rig to get DSR screenshots for his article.
http://techreport.com/review/27102/maxwell-dynamic-super-resolution-explored

I'm not even sure the Gaussian filter is applied either in the screenshots.

It is not.

Yeah that's what I figured, looks great though :)

Star Citizen developers have listed support for various AA methods but none are actually implemented yet. No cvars for Cryengine work yet either for AA.

Can you force FXAA in the NVCP? That seems to work in every game (and even the Windows desktop :D).

So the MSI model is not in stock at newegg but I can get it from one of you suppliers for $342.48 and there are dozens in stock. However I don't thing it comes with the game bundle if I order it from there. Hmm.

Mkay I ordered the eVGA model from Newegg with rush processing and next day shipping. I WANT IT NOW! I actually called beforehand to make sure it was in stock and it was.

Back