Microsoft's Auto SR: Universal AI upscaling discussion.

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
Dubbed Automatic Super Resolution or Auto SR, this function will debut in Windows 11 with the first computers with Copilot+ certification, allowing you to improve the resolution and fluidity of all types of games without the need for them to be specially adapted for this technology, unlike what happens with FSR, XeSS or DLSS.

A particularly interesting detail about Auto SR is that Microsoft uses the NPU of Copilot+ compatible computers to process the AI graphics enhancements. This allows images to be scaled from lower resolutions (Microsoft focuses its examples on games from 720p to 1080p and 1440p) with minimal development cost, since there is no need to "train" an AI or modify the way the image is rendered. and avoid purchasing graphics cards from a specific brand. In return, Auto SR adds an average latency of one frame (which would be quite manageable).

According to Microsoft, Auto SR also provides higher quality than non-AI upscaling solutions such as NIS (Nvidia) and Super Resolution (AMD), which may also require a more complex configuration.

The universal operation of Auto SR makes it possible to apply intelligent AI scaling even in existing games, although for now Microsoft will only allow its automatic application in 11 previously tested titles to "improve visual quality, frames per second, or both, in compared to rendering them natively at 1080p." They are the following:

• BeamNG.drive
  • Borderlands 3
  • Control
  • Dark Souls III
  • god of war
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Resident Evil 3
  • Sekiro Shadows Die Twice
  • Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2
  • The Witcher 3

According to Microsoft, other games could cause problems. The idea is to expand this initial list to a 100% compatible titles over time, but the company will also give the option to force Auto SR on behalf of the user. The Works on Windows on Arm site already has an extensive list of games where you can check the correct operation of Auto SR (Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Skyrim SE, for example, work as opt-in).

Auto SR will only work on devices certified for Copilot+, which in practice means that, at least initially, they will be computers based on Snapdragon which will soon be joined by other machines apart from those from Qualcomm.

qkCLb0a.jpeg

Last edited:
From the DirectX blog post I thought this bit about larger models than XeSS/DLSS was interesting:
Auto SR is different from super resolution technologies like AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution, Intel XeSS, and NVIDIA DLSS Super Resolution built into games. These approaches require games to alter their rendering, for example, by using jitter and MIP bias to add finer details. In contrast, Auto SR tackles the task of enhancing games without the extra information to improve games as they exist today. It relies on larger models and the NPU to create stunning visuals.
With AutoSR, the x86 emulation and adreno gpu I think there's quite a bit to see with the new Snapdragon chips.

From the DirectX blog post I thought this bit about larger models than XeSS/DLSS was interesting:

With AutoSR, the x86 emulation and adreno gpu I think there's quite a bit to see with the new Snapdragon chips.
too high of a claim there, but the comparisons are surely going to be very interesting when Auto SR is more broadly available.

I found this tidbit interesting, because I thought DirectSR and Auto SR were the same thing, and that DirectSR was deprecated as a term.

DirectSR and Auto SR create a comprehensive SR solution across Windows devices.

DirectSR focuses on next generation games and developers, while
Auto SR enhances existing games, improving the player experience automatically

Another thing I find really interesting about this tech is that it finally potentially eliminates the issue of games interfering with your apps' windows in Windows. I.e. you had the Edge browser open on your 1440p display, you start a game whose default resolution is 1080p (or just switching ingame resolution to a different res than your native display resolution) and bam, when you come back to the desktop, your windows are a a mess and became much smaller while the OS "thinks" they are maximized.

Another thing I find really interesting about this tech is that it finally potentially eliminates the issue of games interfering with your apps' windows in Windows. I.e. you had the Edge browser open on your 1440p display, you start a game whose default resolution is 1080p (or just switching ingame resolution to a different res than your native display resolution) and bam, when you come back to the desktop, your windows are a a mess and became much smaller while the OS "thinks" they are maximized.
That has more to do with the game's handling of its window and fullscreen modes than anything else. And Microsoft's continual inability to handle windows in an OS called "Windows" properly.

Back