Microsoft Has Acquisition Deal With Nvidia

Heh, I doubt many XBox1 games used AA/AF, but the 8500's implementation of both was pretty bad (arguably just completely bugged in AA's case but hard to say - and an innovative but dubious trade-off for AF). And while the Pixel Shader was ahead of its time, it would also have been too late for Microsoft's original schedule. Either way this is pointless - NVIDIA wasn't chosen just for their GPU, but for their ability to integrate the northbridge and design the southbridge. For all we know Gigapixel (or later via 3DFX) might have won the contrast if it wasn't for that - wouldn't that have been hilarious?

When ms gets around to making the next xbox if nv and amd said no would they be buggered ?
If sony grab one of them for the ps4 then the remaining company would have them over a barrel, who could they turn to powervr ?

When ms gets around to making the next xbox if nv and amd said no would they be buggered ?
I don't see why that would ever happen.
If sony grab one of them for the ps4 then the remaining company would have them over a barrel, who could they turn to powervr ?
Oh, even if NV and AMD said yes, I think PowerVR could still win the contract :) For the first time they have a solution at the right level of performance, the only question is whether it's competitive when scaled up that high. And then whether that's enough to win the deal since it's also about coming up with a contract both parties agree with (and MS is more picky than back in the days obviously - but IMG is also used to this kind of money per chip unlike NV back then).

Otherwise, I suppose they'd have to stick with Intel, which would be... interesting.

They do ? I thought their last load of products were all targeting smartphones and mobile devices
The latest SGX can scale up to 32 TMUs via multicore, and the the pre-announced Series6/Rogue should be able to scale up to at least 64 TMUs (or maybe more - who knows). The scaling mechanism is unproven with so many cores, but on paper it should work fine.

Davros,
In simple terms, it means PC game is dead and you'll need to buy a console. You should start preparing yourself. Do some thumb exercises or something.

Back