Michael Moore & Me

Well i do know this: Eddie Edwards is responsible for people thinking that eagles are crap at ski-jumping now you may think they never blame anyone but trust me the eagles are not happy, not one bit.....

The eagle was first used by the Romans. Their glory is why other nations have used the eagle(also no coincidence why many state buildings in the west resemble Roman architecture). Sure the Romans had pride, peace and prosperity but not without lots and lots of bloodshed and oppression.

Guess I have to reconsider my view of the eagle taken as a symbol to represent freedom. (seems kinda logical since it is a bird and all..)

And wikipedia states:
"The eagle has been used by many nations as a national symbol, depicting power, beauty and independence."

Guess I have to reconsider my view of the eagle taken as a symbol to represent freedom.

And wikipedia states:
"The eagle has been used by many nations as a national symbol, depicting power, beauty and independence."

I'm struggling to understand your thought processes, quite how you're joining up the dots. I'm left concluding that this must be some sort of joke :???:

What's the problem with that?

Effective communicators should be acknowledged as such regardless of the palatability of their message. Effective propaganda is "admirable" in its own way, regardless of the message.

I guess in these days of Rightthink and Rightspeak it's difficult for people to allow themselves to draw the distinction. People who do bad things are bad people, ergo everything a bad person does is despicable. Keeps it nice and black-and-white and easy on the thinking.

I'm sorry, but you are not aware of the background of the so-called "great communicator of Germany".
In the years before the 1933 rise to power, the NSDAP (Nazi Party) used a more down-to-earth technique known as "Terror Campaign" to conquer votes and gather people at their rallies.
They have effectively appropriated the use of an even older bunch of thugs known as the "SA" (basically, the real predecessors of today's Neo Nazi's), took over their leadership, and started terrorizing most of Germany that way, while the main party amassed great wealth and influence among the rich and powerful aristocracies that viewed them as the only counter-balance against Germany's largest party, and in fact, one of the world's largest parties at the time, the German Communist Party.

So, by the time Hitler rose to power, the huge ideological demonstrations were already "forced" upon the people, they were not 100% spontaneous as we today are lead to believe by that era's propaganda.
Antisemitism already existed throughout most of Europe for centuries, and i take for example my own country (and a small one at that), where, by the Roman Church influence, many Jews were either deported or forced to convert themselves to Christianity in order to stay here, back in the 13th and 14th centuries.

In a sense, those films succeeded in giving that false majesty and eloquence to future generations, but Hitler was in reality far from being a high-grade intellectual.
Those, the really intellectual Nazi's were far more dangerous, like Himmler, Goebbels, etc, but worked in the comfort of the shadow of an almost-puppeteer'ed leader.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm struggling to understand your thought processes, quite how you're joining up the dots. I'm left concluding that this must be some sort of joke :???:

I thought the eagle stood for freedom (or that people wanted to represent freedom by having it as a symbol) but I was wrong and the wikipedia quote kind of proved it (that it was not about freedom).

Mkay?

And wikipedia states:

No the wikipedia states:
"The eagle has been used by many nations as a national symbol, depicting power, beauty and independence. It is also known to be totally crap at ski-jumping"

Don't pick fights about what exactly the wikipedia states. Because you can simply change it to reflect your point just before you post it.

;)

Back