Make a movie with mobile phones

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
Link

South African movie director Aryan Kaganof recently made what is possibly the first feature film shot entirely using cellular phones. Called SMS Sugar Man, this low-budget movie was filmed using eight Sony Ericsson W900i handsets on a budget of less than 1 million rand (US$164,000). Traditionally, most low-budget films cost about 6 million rand (US$984,000) to produce.

I bet the picture quality must have been outstanding as well... :D

It's good I guess when people push boundaries and venture out into new uncharted territories, but sometimes I feel people do these things just for the sake of it, not because it's an actual, practical way of going about making a feature-length movie.

Just being the first to make a movie with a mobile phone camera isn't worth much when the end result looks like, well, what a mobile phone camera produces...

Since when was $1,000,000 low budget? I would think you could make a preatty decent movie if your just using cell phones for cameras for closer $200-$300 or however much beer and pizza is going for over there :).

l15741 said:
Since when was $1,000,000 low budget? I would think you could make a preatty decent movie if your just using cell phones for cameras for closer $200-$300 or however much beer and pizza is going for over there :).

Actually the article states this....

South African movie director Aryan Kaganof recently made what is possibly the first feature film shot entirely using cellular phones. Called SMS Sugar Man, this low-budget movie was filmed using eight Sony Ericsson W900i handsets on a budget of less than 1 million rand (US$164,000). Traditionally, most low-budget films cost about 6 million rand (US$984,000) to produce.

I actually consider US$164,000 to be a lot of money given the film was captured with a mear mobile phone. Wasn't "Blair Witch" even cheaper? Eventhough it was filmed with a handycam, it happened to work out pretty well because it gave the movie some level of authency that this was in fact footage that was found and that the contents on that film really happened....

Back