Low performance for a Geforce 4 4400 - Please help.

MastaC

Newcomer
I finally got the latest detonator drivers working (v29.42) but in 3d Marks 2001 SE i only got 7712. From what i had read from reviews i was expecting a bit more. :(

Any suggestions on improving performance??

Also GTA 3 lag and freezes up and crashs after 5-10min play, HELP!

((My specs are below))
---------
AMD Athlon 1.4 ghz
256 MB DDR Ram
Leadtek Geforce 4 Ti 4400
MSI K7T266 Pro
Windows XP Pro
----------

Do you have the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers installed (get them from www.guru3d.com/files )

If you go to Start -> Run and type dxdiag, then select display is AGP texture acceleration enabled?

Have you set V-sync off in your drivers? Control Panel -> Display -> Settings -> Advanced Setting -> GF4 Ti440 -> Additional Properties -> OpenGL

Do you have a decent power supply feeding that thing ( a quality 300W job or bigger)?

Does the on/off switch clearly disconnect from the power on rail within seconds of being pushed (otherwise if it stays in contact you will be pulling down the voltage on your power rail).

Hope these help, what Operating system are you using?

thanks alot g__day! A very detailed reply. Yes i went through all the settings and they were as you said.

Im running Win Xp. I have a feeling this is the force behind my problems..

No worries - have you tried an earlier or later driver - I got the best performance from 23.11, 28.90 and 30.30

Do you have anything major running (virus checkers etc?)

Also - try this link to tweaking 3D mark - might uncover where your problem is:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=943

Also - for good housekeeping - try setting your SWAP disk to always be say 256MB minimum and maximum - so a swap file re-size during 3d mark isn't killing your performance.

A defrag is a good idea too.

And I always set the size of my recylce bin (via properties) down from 10% of HDD space to say 2-3%.

Are all your stats in 3D mark average - or are some tests great and some very poor?

well i have managed to get it up too 7980 3d marks...better but could/should be more.

GTA still crashes....guess its the game

Back