Is there a way (gardening advice)

No, you can't make a rose bush out of a cut rose. Wrong type of plant to propogate that way. You need to actually go out and get a rose bush if you want to grow roses.

It is possible to propagate some of the hardier types of roses, but you need a decent part of a bush, not just a cut rose from a florist. Look here.

Saw the topic and the author and began to wonder if he was going to ask a question about growing funny plants. ;)

bah i know how to do that , actually we planted two more about a month ago .

Just wondering about the roses :)

jvd said:
To get say a rose and make it grow roots ?

If so how would you go about doing this ?

I'm not an expert, but this is what I've tried and it has worked although I've never got better than a 25% hit rate.

Disclaimer: Some cultivars (especially new named ones)are protected in the same way that software is protected (with a EULA :) ) which prohibits propogation....

Firstly, to increase your chances you should get some "rooting powder"** which is a plant hormone with fungacide. Be careful with this stuff.

You then need to cut a reasonable length of stem so that there's a bud (where a branch can form) near the base (say around 1cm from the base) and probably at least one or two further up (or perhaps one or two leaves***). I generally use bits of stem that are 7~10mm thick but feel free to experiment.

Stick the lower bit into the rooting powder (it helps if you wet the stem first), and then put it into your compost so that, say, 2/3 are beneath the soil level.

Since there's a lowish "yield" I usually put a few cuttings in the same pot.

If you're in a dry area it might help putting either a clear plastic bag or 1/2 a plastic drinks bottle over the pot to keep the humidity up, and keep it a semishaded spot so you don't cook it. :-|

It's then a matter of waiting for it to develop roots and and the leaves to appear. When it looks like it's growing well, you can transfer it to a bigger pot etc.

**Which, to the Australians in the forum, is NOT an aphrodisiac.

*** You don't want more than a couple of leaves as the cutting can't absorb enough water to support them.

The problem with roses is that they have been so artificially force bred that most of the varieties arn't strong enough to even grow on their own in natural surroundings, let alone be propogated. That's why you find very pretty roses have to be grafted onto the rootstock of a more old-fashioned, hardier rose.

We actually have one in our garden where the grafted stock give us big red roses, but the rootstock has also grown and we get small white roses off the same plant.

Personally I find the old fashioned roses much nicer looking, or the big climbers. We have a monster climber in our apple tree. First the tree flowers pink blossom, and then the rose opens thousands of small white flowers throughout the whole tree.

The little dwarf rose bushes are also quite nice, so if you're just looking to grow a small rose plant in a pot, those are worth looking at.

The trick with roses (apparently) is to feed them properly and deadhead them they so they keep growing flowers.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
The problem with roses is that they have been so artificially force bred that most of the varieties arn't strong enough to even grow on their own in natural surroundings, let alone be propogated. That's why you find very pretty roses have to be grafted onto the rootstock of a more old-fashioned, hardier rose.
I'm not sure that's necessarily the case anymore, e.g. say, with bush roses.

Simon F said:
jvd said:
To get say a rose and make it grow roots ?

If so how would you go about doing this ?

I'm not an expert, but this is what I've tried and it has worked although I've never got better than a 25% hit rate.

Disclaimer: Some cultivars (especially new named ones)are protected in the same way that software is protected (with a EULA :) ) which prohibits propogation....

Firstly, to increase your chances you should get some "rooting powder"** which is a plant hormone with fungacide. Be careful with this stuff.

You then need to cut a reasonable length of stem so that there's a bud (where a branch can form) near the base (say around 1cm from the base) and probably at least one or two further up (or perhaps one or two leaves***). I generally use bits of stem that are 7~10mm thick but feel free to experiment.

Stick the lower bit into the rooting powder (it helps if you wet the stem first), and then put it into your compost so that, say, 2/3 are beneath the soil level.

Since there's a lowish "yield" I usually put a few cuttings in the same pot.

If you're in a dry area it might help putting either a clear plastic bag or 1/2 a plastic drinks bottle over the pot to keep the humidity up, and keep it a semishaded spot so you don't cook it. :-|

It's then a matter of waiting for it to develop roots and and the leaves to appear. When it looks like it's growing well, you can transfer it to a bigger pot etc.

**Which, to the Australians in the forum, is NOT an aphrodisiac.

*** You don't want more than a couple of leaves as the cutting can't absorb enough water to support them.

Follow this. I have done many roses and its best to get cutings in the winter to try for rooting. Add some sand in the pot to help balance the amout ot water the soil will hold. You will need about 12 inches cutings to root from.

One other thing that amazingly seems to work: Throw the cuttings (when you prune back the roses) into the compost heap and cover them up and forget about them.

I've found that after come back to get the compost, many of them are happily growing despite my best attempt to make them rot :? :D :?

Back