Is Microsoft abandoning .NET?

_xxx_ said:
On the other side, C# is really sexy. Such a pity the platform/framework itself is so bloated and VB still there.

What do you mean with the "VB still there"? VB isn't there and same goes to C# and the other 100+ .NET languages.

In one sense it doesn't really matter that .NET/C# executables are somewhat slower than statically compiled native code, as most business applications are bound either by (in my experience) disk read latency or network congestion 99% of the time. I would not use C#/MDX to write the next HL/Doom or for a large-scale statistical mechanics simulation, but beyond those two quite exceptional cases managed code runs well enough.

You might also want to take a look at the Great Compiler Shootout. Note that the C# weighted score is virtually tied with the VC++ 6.0 weighted score. The results for the Fibonacci Number test are also interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
K.I.L.E.R said:
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

When you find your program's "bug" lies in the dynamic compiler, I bet you'll become much less faithful.

Miksu said:
What do you mean with the "VB still there"? VB isn't there and same goes to C# and the other 100+ .NET languages.

No, I mean the fact that VB still exists and is indeed being used, regardless of .net.

That's why I file bug reports.
Tried programming in OGL in the last few years?
I found a lot of bugs which according to the discussions were bugs in the video driver.

Should I stop coding in OGL?

pcchen said:
When you find your program's "bug" lies in the dynamic compiler, I bet you'll become much less faithful.

Miksu said:
Well in that case you have some memory leak in your program :) Shouldn't be hard to find with a good memory profiler.
You mean, I should debug the .NET garbage collector? I don't see what else I could do about memory leaks.

No, I just mean that there are way too many things that can interfere with the .NET framework. It just breaks down, sometimes. For any amount of reasons, like excessive memory use, as the OS will kill it when that happens. Or just some timeout, SUS update, or whatever.

And when the runtime goes, all your .NET programs go with it. Time to reboot...

As far as I understand it, the Vista core is mostly C++, pre-compiled stuff, and .Net is essentially the scripting engine for that core.

K.I.L.E.R said:
That's why I file bug reports.
Tried programming in OGL in the last few years?
I found a lot of bugs which according to the discussions were bugs in the video driver.

Should I stop coding in OGL?

It's has nothing to do with bug reports. To file bug reports, you have to find the bug first, and that's much more difficult with a dynamic compiler.

When you are using a static compiler, you can easily see the result of the compilation. You can trace the generated assembly codes by yourself, to see what's really going on. It's much difficult to do so with a dynamic compiler, especially the advanced ones.

And yes, it's super annoying when working with a buggy OpenGL driver. I know it because I've been through it. (Guess why Glide was popular back then?) Of course, OpenGL drivers are much more mature now, at least for some vendors. However, when you have to fight the device drivers (I'm still doing that, my work involves with dealing to stupid driver problems), you'll hope that everything is under your control. That's what a static compiler gives me.

This is one of those debates that could easily become an all out war...

so... I'll make it clear. I really like .net. I use it for almost everything I do code wise, simply because it's the best tool avaliable (in my opinion). I could easily argue away at all the negative posts here but I can't be bothered right now because I have better things to do. I'm going to go work on my game engine instead (and yes, thats in .net too)

I think I'll sum it up with the following:

today at work, for the 2nd day in a row, I spent the entire day trying to track down a buffer overrun in some 3rd party C++ code we are using (one of two unamanged modules in the project). I will probably have to spend the next 3 or so days as well. It is driving me quite insane, and doesn't make my boss too happy either.

Graham said:

so... I'll make it clear. I really like .net. I use it for almost everything I do code wise, simply because it's the best tool avaliable (in my opinion). I could easily argue away at all the negative posts here but I can't be bothered right now because I have better things to do. I'm going to go work on my game engine instead (and yes, thats in .net too)

Managed code has their use, I agree. But saying "static compiler need to be die" is, IMHO, a bit too extreme.
With a static compiler, you can still make it safe by always checking the boundary, automatic memory management, etc. Don't confuse some problems in some languages with static compiling.

Graham said:

I think I'll sum it up with the following:

today at work, for the 2nd day in a row, I spent the entire day trying to track down a buffer overrun in some 3rd party C++ code we are using (one of two unamanged modules in the project). I will probably have to spend the next 3 or so days as well. It is driving me quite insane, and doesn't make my boss too happy either.
That's why I'm very happy when I can write stuff in Delphi. It just works. Really.

True, the above is a complete blanket statement, but that's how it seems to me. I've got one (from very many) that sometimes goes down, which I could track down to a nasty bug in Windows (if you catch and handle an exception in a service thrown by an external (Microsoft ?) process, your service stops executing, while still having the "started" state).

While I have any amount of problems with the 24/7 .NET programs. I shudder about having to build a web service for a multinational like that, with a "guaranteed SLA" and financial consequences. I wouldn't!

While the Delphi ones just suffer any amount of mistreatment and keep on going.

But then again, I might just totally suck at .NET.

Edit: Exception, not interrupt.

Back