Is it the dawn of a new era of engineering?...

I don't know if this has been posted before but here goes.
(recent nanotube developments)

.A cheap, environmentally sound technique has been developed for producing nanotube ropes that could be used to make super-strong cables for such applications as a space elevator.

UK researchers Ya-Li Li, Ian Kinloch and Alan Windle from the University of Cambridge say that the "spinning" technique can generate ropes of any length and has already beaten the previous meter-long record.

"The present direct spinning process opens a novel way of one-step production of nanotube fibers, ribbons and coatings with potentially excellent properties," say the researchers.

Superior strength

Carbon nanotubes are tubular carbon molecules with properties that make them potentially useful in extremely small scale electronic and mechanical applications.

They exhibit unusual strength and unique electrical properties, and are extremely efficient conductors of heat.

Of particular interest for the construction of super-strong cables is the high tensile strength of nanotubes—their ability to stretch without breaking or losing their shape.

Single nanotubes have been measured with a tensile strength 50 to 60 times greater than high-grade steel.

With bonds stronger than those in diamonds, nanotubes naturally align into threads that are held together by what's known as the van der Waals force, which is the same force that allows geckos to cling to smooth surfaces.

Under high pressures, nanotubes can merge, raising the possibility of creating strong, long ropes through high-pressure nanotube linking.

While such ropes likely wouldn't have the strength of a single nanotube, they would still be far stronger than anything available today.

They could be used for a wide range of applications, including for space elevators that require strong, light cables thousands of kilometers long.

Taking carbon for a spin

Many methods have been developed for creating short carbon nanotube fibers, but assembling carbon nanotubes into continuous ropes has been problematic.

While some researchers have successfully produced nanotube fibers by drawing or spinning them from gels and other solutions, such techniques have limited them to producing relatively short strands, and other techniques have involved such toxic chemicals as hexane—a common ingredient in gasoline.

Windle and colleagues have taken a different approach, winding freshly made nanotube fibers onto spinning rods straight out of a furnace.

First they inject ethanol mixed with ferrocene and thiophene into a hydrogen carrier gas in the hot zone of a furnace with temperatures between 1,050°C and 1,200°C.

Under these conditions, nanotubes form an aerogel that the researchers say looks like "elastic smoke." To produce ropes, they continuously draw the gel from the hot zone by winding it onto a rotating rod.

To switch from producing single- to multi-walled nanotubes—nanotubes nested in nanotubes—the researchers simply adjust the operating temperature and gas flow rates through the furnace.

"By mechanically drawing the carbon nanotubes directly from the gaseous reaction zone, we have found it possible to wind up continuous fiber without apparent limit to length," the researchers say. "If this new fiber can challenge conventional high performance fibers for properties, its vastly simpler method of production will commend it on both cost and environmental grounds."

In addition to spinning nanotube ropes, their technique can also be used to "spin coat" differently shaped scaffolds.

-By Gabe Romain

science link if anyone has a subscription, so we can get more info

Here's a link from an older, but similar dev.:
http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69739&highlight=carbon+nanotubes

Ive been posting that the next big thing for space exploration will be space elevators. I hope nasa is funding research into nanotube ropes, too. Congrats to the UK team for getting this far. This is a great example of research that will benefit mankind for centuries.

later,
epic

I think living on the moon/space stations and getting their via space lifts in synched orbits would take a population load off the earth Which would be a good thing.

K.I.L.E.R said:
I think living on the moon/space stations and getting their via space lifts in synched orbits would take a population load off the earth Which would be a good thing.
I would be shocked if within my lifetime people would be allowed to immigrated to the moon or a space station. But it is nice to dream.

later,
epic

The cool think about the elevators is that in space the carbon cables are weightless so the total weight exerted on the cable by its own weight is lessoned greatly.

PC-Engine said:
The cool think about the elevators is that in space the carbon cables are weightless so the total weight exerted on the cable by its own weight is lessoned greatly.
Umm, no. Apparent weightlessness is what happens when you are in free fall. A satellite that orbits earth is in free fall all the time, it just has an enormous sideways velocity (tens of thousands of kilometers per hour) so that it, in its free fall fails to hit the Earth. A space elevator cannot move sideways in that manner, so it won't experience anything close to weightlessness and it will thus have to support its own full weight.

Although a space elevator is a good concept, I personally think it could be a bit too dangerous. If such an elevator was built and it 'broke', it would cause an enormous amount of damage during it's fall to Earth.

Is it worth the risk? :?

Mariner said:
Although a space elevator is a good concept, I personally think it could be a bit too dangerous. If such an elevator was built and it 'broke', it would cause an enormous amount of damage during it's fall to Earth.

This is a common misconception. ;) Depending on how the cable breaks, it will either go into space, or fall to earth. In the event if falls towards the ground, much of it will burn up as it falls. What doesnt burn up, is so small (radius wise)and light, that it would tend to fall straight down, as long as you dont build in the middle of a populated area, you wont have a problem.

later,
epic

arjan de lumens said:
PC-Engine said:
Umm, no. Apparent weightlessness is what happens when you are in free fall. A satellite that orbits earth is in free fall all the time, it just has an enormous sideways velocity (tens of thousands of kilometers per hour) so that it, in its free fall fails to hit the Earth. A space elevator cannot move sideways in that manner, so it won't experience anything close to weightlessness and it will thus have to support its own full weight.

Huh? Orbit is an orbit, be it a geostationary one or not. While the top end of the elevator seems to stand still when you look up to it from earth, it is still rotating the Earth on a geostationary orbit at ~36000 km. So why wouldn't the elevator station be at zero-G?

Or did you suppose we actually build a tower out of atmosphere? :oops: A hundred km's or so might be enough, but... Count me out of that construction job.

Edit:
Ah, we were talking about the cable, not the station... :oops:

epicstruggle said:
Mariner said:

This is a common misconception. ;) Depending on how the cable breaks, it will either go into space, or fall to earth. In the event if falls towards the ground, much of it will burn up as it falls. What doesnt burn up, is so small (radius wise)and light, that it would tend to fall straight down, as long as you dont build in the middle of a populated area, you wont have a problem.

later,
epic
fall straight down?
um, how so?
Let say cable breaks 2/3 of the way up. Remaining length will NOT fall straight down. fristion (atmosphereic) will slow the cable down, but its endpoint (attached to earth) will not slow down, and thus the cable will fall out in a line, roughly speaking.

There are still some health concerns about carbon nanotubes. One is the effects of such an abrasive structure on the human respiratory tract. Nanotubes have a very rigid structure so they MAY NOT ALL burn in the atmosphere and that's one major concern at the moment. What if the structure failed sending debris all over?

Willmeister said:
There are still some health concerns about carbon nanotubes. One is the effects of such an abrasive structure on the human respiratory tract. Nanotubes have a very rigid structure so they MAY NOT ALL burn in the atmosphere and that's one major concern at the moment. What if the structure failed sending debris all over?
I nanotubes are primarily made of carbon, if it burn up it would release co2, right? Anyways, Im of the opinion that properly made the nanotube wire could be made so that it wouldnt easily break. Something like 10-30 strands braided like most suppension bridges. Individual wires break in the strand, but the overall strand does not. ;)

later,
epic

Back