International Guitar Purchasing Advice

poopypoo

Veteran
Hey, I'm taking a page out of JR's book and buying my first guitar since moving overseas. Of course, the major US sellers don't ship internationally, as the guitar manufacturer's want to kep a special line for sale in Asia or whatever. PITA! anyone know good sites for ordering online that ship internationally? There are a lot of models I've found on musician's friend that I can't seem to find locally. Of course, there's still the whole issue of playing them first. >_<; I really wish Tom Lee weren't the only thing passing for an international music shop here. Both selection and prices blow! I guess they're ok if you want a strat or an ibanez...

Check out Ebay shops, they mostly ship overseas as well. Also, many online stores don't offer the option of ordering from abroad, but some will sell you stuff if you contact them.

Check out VAT/customs etc. you'll have to pay on your side so there are no nasty surprises there either.

What exactly are you looking into?

HK taxes are the best!

However, the selection not so much. Let's see... I'm an experienced player but not all that serious. Or rather, I am really passionate about music but guitar isn't really my primary instrument. So I'm looking in the $300-500 USD range, guitars that have decent sustain and hold their tune, but aren't particularly expensive. The other requirement I have is tremolo. I'm an addict. Thing is, I've owned several strat knockoffs in the past and played some real strats extensively, so I'm pretty sick of them.

Actually, one of the things I was contemplating was one of the reissue Kramers. I know you're a big Kramer guy, so you'll probably pine for the 80s versions, but I'm not picking up a collectible. Have you played the Gibson-reissue Baretta? These are a nice choice for me since they may fit my requirements and charge real shipping costs internationally.

The best choice, locally, for me, is probably an Ibanez S-series. An S470 would be about $425 USD and have ZR trem, which is a pretty good deal, actually. I'm tempted by the Godins (I couldn't believe they sold them here!), but not so sure about the Godin tremolo. Have you played either? What do you think? In particular, I'm concerned about sustain, since the S body is so thin.

If I could, I'd buy a special Floyd Rose-equipped Les Paul in a heartbeat. I don't really love LP necks but that's too cool a combination to pass up. If anyone wants a guitar right now, this is a nice deal and they may not make them again in the future. I'm sure they're not "Limited" as in "valuable", but still pretty uncommon.

The reissues are every bit as good if not better than the 80's axes. I had the '84 reissue which was truly awsome and I played the Barretta which was just as good, although an entirely different beast.

But those are out of your price range $300-500. There I'd look into one of the nice new Fender Showmasters, they're great value for the money, especially used. Or Ibanez stuff, they're pretty much the only ones offering relatively good guitars in that price range. Also nice are LAG, but these are cheaper in Europe I think.

I played some midrange Godins, but AFAICR they were rather mediocre.

I'd also keep away from that Epi, that Floyd is a cheap copy and Epis are not really good regardless. Not bad either, just there are many better guitars for the money out there.

Since you're in HK, why not a nice japanese Edwards or Tokai? They build great guitars and very cheap over there in comparison, that should be much cheaper for you than ordering anything from the US. Also there are loads of great used axes in Japan on the bay, so that's the place I'd look at first.

you rock. thanks for the input. yeah i was keeping my eyes open for some other japanese brands, but the local stores don't carry them. have to try ebay.jp! i'll prob get a kramer if i can. well, after I do more research -- the horribly named "MusicYo.com" has the baretta reissues here for $390 USD. Seems to be a weirdish site though, and I do hesitate to buy a guitar in any way that I can't check the neck and frets before buying. So the local Ibanezes have a strong pull for me, even though the pickups and sustain don't excite me much. Well, you have to sacrifice something in this price range.

One thing I find interesting about your comments is that I've always thought Epi's were relatively reliable in this price range. Setup's cheap here, but I do need something with good electronics. HK's one of the more humid civilized areas on Earth. I like them a lot better than Squiers, anyway. You really think that Epi FR sucks? Damn I wish I could play one right now, it just seems too cool to rule out without trying. Thanks again for the input though!

That's not the Barreta reissue but a similarly named low-cost model which has been discontinued a few years ago. That axe is crap, forget about it.

If you're into Kramer, look at the Tommyguitars page, he's in Osaka, Jap and sells loads of vintage Kramers and parts, good prices too:
http://www.tommyguitars.com/page/page/1569333.htm

Here's one Ebay seller from JP selling Edwards/ESP/Tokai etc:
http://stores.ebay.de/id=89519625&ssPageName=STRK:MEFS:MESST

That Floyd works, but will go rather soon. Only the original floyd, Schaller and Ping are really good, anything else is not nearly as reliable (softer alloys used, knife edges wearing off fast, ripped screws and so on).

Epis are generally overpriced, cheap-o harware and electronics and abysmal pickups, not very good workmanship either. Still better than Squier though, but it's really not hard to be better than Squier ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, I think TommyGuitars just put a little dent in my wallet. That's fantastic. Thanks a lot for the tips. I'm so excited I might use the litter box.

No prob, glad to help a fellow axeman! :) If you ever have any troubles, just ask in the Kramer forum, the guys there are like a huge very friendly family.

Back