Intel & AMD's gflop Performance?

makaveli87

Newcomer
Does anyone know how many gflops Intel’s Pentium D and Pentium 4 600 series can do as well as AMD’s gflop ratings for either there x2 4200+ or 4800+ and the fx-55? I’ve tried google but I cant seem to find anthing.

The reason why I ask is I’m doing a paper on CPU’s and I need the info for one of the graphs I’m making. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Pentium4 can theoretically (very hypothetically, I'd say) perform 4 FLOPs per clock cycle using SSE (2 ADD+2 MUL; single-precision, the FLOP count is halved if you do double-precision instead), same as Athlon64/FX.

PentiumD basically contains two Pentium4-class cores, simlar to how AthlonX2 contains two Athlon64-class cores, so these processors can presumably do a theoretical 8 single-precision FLOPS per clock.

Multiply these numbers by the actual clock speeds of the processors (which should be easier to find with Google than gflop ratings; beware that the speed ratings of AMD processors are much higher than their real clock speeds), and you will get some gflop numbers out. You be the judge of how useful those numbers are for you.

IIRC, the official TDPs (Thermal Design Power; the power consumption that the CPU maker wants you to assume when you build heat sinks for their processors) are: 104 Watts for the AthlonFX and X2, about 100 Watts for Pentium4, 130 Watt for PentiumD. You will probably want to double-check these numbers against official documentation at the Intel/AMD websites, as I am not 100% sure about all of them.

There has been a considerable amount of controversy over these numbers and their usefulness for comparing processors: the AMD TDP numbers are known to be substantially higher than actual power consumption (AMD refuses to give out actual power consumption numbers, only TDPs) and the Intel numbers about 25% lower than worst-case power consumption (with the argumentation that the Intel processors will only exceed their TDP when presented with very specialized code sequences that are unlikely to appear in any commonly used program.)

Several websites have adopted a practice of measuring actual power comsumption of entire PCs when comparing new CPUs and GPUs; you should search around for such tests to get a more complete picture of how much power systems with the various processors actually draw.

Back