Installing WinXP with SATA drives but no floppy

I just upgraded my motherboard and my story is even funnier...

I bought a motherboard with Intel i915 chipset. At first, I tried to install Windows XP with my original CD (which already incorporates SP1). Everything's fine, which is unexpected since I have a SATA harddisk. Later, I found out that my SATA controller is running under a "compatible mode", as Intel's SATA management applications won't install on my computer.

Great. Now I'd better "correct" this problem before it's too late (such as after a lot of applications installed). I changed the setting in the BIOS to a native SATA mode. Now, Windows won't boot (which is expected). I have a floppy disk drive, so I have no worry. I downloaded the driver for installation from Intel's web site, and starting to reinstall.

It works fine through the installation until... well, when it's detecting the devices. It stopped for a very long time (like after finishing watching a HBO movie), still no go. I tried several times, with no luck.

I once decided to give up, since my SATA harddisk is not a native one after all (it's a WD drive which uses a bridge chip). But... I shouldn't give up so easily. So I decided to try the last option: slipstreaming the driver. Before slipstreaming the driver, I put the SP2 in, to avoid another time consuming installation of SP2. Later, when I wanted to put the Intel's driver in, I found that the operations are too complex and it's very late. So I gave the new CD a go, without the driver (the driver is still from the floppy disk).

Surprisingly... it worked. The once hanged device detecting procedure now passed quickly. I successfully installed the Windows XP, and everything's set. Intel's SATA utilities also installed ok.

So the moral after this story is, always use a installation CD integrated with the latest service pack, and you may save a lot of time. :)

Back