If you had 2nd thoughts about Penryn...

ShaidarHaran

hardware monkey
Veteran
4.1-4.2GHz (24x7 SMP FAH + GPU FAH stable/bench speed 513x8/525x8) mem in sync with bus speed (4GB GSkill kit rated @ 1GHz)

approaching 6.5k PPD combined folding output

that's a single GPU dual-core CPU system we're talking about.

4.1-4.2GHz (24x7 SMP FAH + GPU FAH stable/bench speed 513x8/525x8) mem in sync with bus speed (4GB GSkill kit rated @ 1GHz)

approaching 6.5k PPD combined folding output

that's a single GPU dual-core CPU system we're talking about.

How does that compare to a PS3?

What OS are you running the F@H SMP client in? I'm having some issues with it in regards to Vista64. It loads the CPUs to 100% but never seems to produce any results. Sadly, I've had to resort to running multiple F@H non-smp.

I was just basing it on my recollection of the faq, but it seems I erred high.

We have picked the PS3 as the natural benchmark machine for PS3 calculations and set its points per day to 900 to reflect this middle ground between speed (faster than CPU, but slower than GPU) and flexibility (more flexible than GPU, less than CPU).

I had no idea a midrange ($200-300) Penryn could hit 4.2 GHz on air. Haven't been following much lately. pretty damn cool stuff though. I also didn't know the SMP and nV clients were working so stably. Wish they'd do a gpu client for linux and an SMP client for non-64bit linux

I had no idea a midrange ($200-300) Penryn could hit 4.2 GHz on air. Haven't been following much lately. pretty damn cool stuff though. I also didn't know the SMP and nV clients were working so stably. Wish they'd do a gpu client for linux and an SMP client for non-64bit linux

I'm not sure what Penryn is being used, looking at the o/c speeds though it could be a stock 2.66Ghz version. But then, its a dual core so I guess even the fastest dual cores these days could be considered midrange. The're not too expensive at least.

2.66 GHz gets to 4.2 GHz?! Seriously!?

I'm no expert, but yeah, they overclock extremely well.

In terms of working out what Shaidars CPU runs at at stock though, i'm just going off the multiplier of 8 multiplied by the regular FSB of a Penryn which is 333Mhz. That gives us 2.66Ghz.

On the other hand, I didn't think they did 2.66Ghz Penryns so maybe the multiplier has been changed too. If it was originally 9 then it would have been the 3Ghz model (E8400). I'm not sure of the exact cost but I doubt that comes in at more than $250.

I'm sure he'll clear it up in the morning :smile:

The dual-core Penryns are mostly limited by a core clock ceiling and not an FSB wall, so it's entirely possible he's using an E8200 (2.66Ghz) rather than the E8400 (3.0Ghz). I speak from experience with my former E8400 that would do about ~4.34Ghz max 24/7 stable, which is (give or take) about the same as most E8200 owners will get.

That's about $175 worth of processor for the E8200, and figure another $175 for the 8800GT. Throw in an $80 Gigabyte P35 board, 4gb of ram for another $80, a DVDRW for about $30 and a 320GB SATAII drive for $50 and you've got a $600 (after shipping) pile of parts. I guess you'll need a PSU and case still if you don't have one laying around...

about $108 for each 1K PPD. How's that for a cost multiplier against the PS3?

what about an E7200 and gigabyte P31 mobo? that could get you an even bigger perf/$. I'm curious to see if it reaches the same frequency.

The E7200's, last I checked, were very dependant on a good motherboard. I've seen them hitting 4Ghz, but only when you've got a board that doesn't choke at FSB's above ~350 or thereabouts. The P31 / G31 are just "budget enough" that they often have problems overclocking that high, and typically have far inferior voltage regulation which causes further problems when trying to overclock higher.

So, I'd still suggest a decent P35 board at least, and typically the P35 varieties are about ~$15 USD more than the P31's. Not sure if there's enough money saved to warrant the lesser overclocking likelihood.

The dual-core Penryns are mostly limited by a core clock ceiling and not an FSB wall, so it's entirely possible he's using an E8200 (2.66Ghz) rather than the E8400 (3.0Ghz). I speak from experience with my former E8400 that would do about ~4.34Ghz max 24/7 stable, which is (give or take) about the same as most E8200 owners will get.

That's about $175 worth of processor for the E8200, and figure another $175 for the 8800GT. Throw in an $80 Gigabyte P35 board, 4gb of ram for another $80, a DVDRW for about $30 and a 320GB SATAII drive for $50 and you've got a $600 (after shipping) pile of parts. I guess you'll need a PSU and case still if you don't have one laying around...

about $108 for each 1K PPD. How's that for a cost multiplier against the PS3?

So PSU + Case + kb/mouse + monitor + Windows puts you at another $400+ probably (assuming pretty lame monitor) so really about a $1k build. Still double the Folding/$

So PSU + Case + kb/mouse + monitor + Windows puts you at another $400+ probably (assuming pretty lame monitor) so really about a $1k build. Still double the Folding/$

If you're going that route, don't forget to add in the cost of a large screen hdtv display for the PS3.

E8400 here. Sorry I neglected to mention it in my OP. Still folding away, although I've been taking quite a bit of time out for gaming lately so production is down a bit (I close both clients when gaming).

Back