If only this were true....

Natoma

Veteran
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/wwn/20030319/104808600007.html

Federal investigators have arrested an enigmatic Wall Street wiz on insider-trading charges -- and incredibly, he claims to be a time-traveler from the year 2256!

"But the fact is, with an initial investment of only $800, in two weeks' time he had a portfolio valued at over $350 million. Every trade he made capitalized on unexpected business developments, which simply can't be pure luck.

When investigators hauled Carlssin in for questioning, they got more than they bargained for: A mind-boggling four-hour confession.

Carlssin declared that he had traveled back in time from over 200 years in the future, when it is common knowledge that our era experienced one of the worst stock plunges in history. Yet anyone armed with knowledge of the handful of stocks destined to go through the roof could make a fortune.

In a bid for leniency, Carlssin has reportedly offered to divulge "historical facts" such as the whereabouts of Osama Bin Laden and a cure for AIDS.

All he wants is to be allowed to return to the future in his "time craft."

Officials are quite confident the "time-traveler's" claims are bogus. Yet the SEC source admits, "No one can find any record of any Andrew Carlssin existing anywhere before December 2002."

I thought it would be a pretty good topic to post given our recent discussion regarding time travel and paradoxes.... :)

Even with insider trading help, could you really turn $800 into $350 million so quickly? That's a gain of 437,000 times, and there is no stock or bundle of stocks that has risen that much. And while you can leverage $800, I doubt you can performance that kind of leverage.

Now with futures and derivatives, big bets can pay off huge, but how can you do inside trades on futures or derivatives?

Maybe they should let this guy, out of curiousity, show them his timecraft. :)

PS. When Weekly and World and News are combined, what do you get?

DemoCoder said:
Even with insider trading help, could you really turn $800 into $350 million so quickly? That's a gain of 437,000 times, and there is no stock or bundle of stocks that has risen that much. And while you can leverage $800, I doubt you can performance that kind of leverage.

Holy shit! Thats what I was thinking when I started reading this. While I don't believe him for the obvious physical reasons (based on the knowledge of 21st century-er ;)), It's mind-boggling that he could do that, actually, it's utterly insane.

You would only need 10% profit on each trade, so for it to be possible in theory you would need a stock option which rose by about 10% in price in an hour or so every hour. To get insider knowledge for all those trades would be hard though, unless you knew of an entity which moved enough volume often enough to cause that much fluctuation in price and knew about their actions ahead of time. A single entity with that much influence on the market would be scary though ...

Back