If a PSU blows out a motherboard....

Tim Murray

the Windom Earle of mobile SOCs
Veteran
is the PSU manufacturer (in my case, Antec) responsible?

About two months after I got my PSU (TrueBlue 480W), the MSI KT266 board suddenly just died in the middle of use. Clearing the CMOS was no help, nothing worked, so I replaced it with a Shuttle AK35, and that was in for about a month.

Now, my Abit NF7-S 2.0 has done EXACTLY the same thing. So, I'm RMAing the board, but hell, if it's an Antec problem, I want $70 for that Shuttle board.

Ideas?

The Baron said:
is the PSU manufacturer (in my case, Antec) responsible?

Now, my Abit NF7-S 2.0 has done EXACTLY the same thing. So, I'm RMAing the board, but hell, if it's an Antec problem, I want $70 for that Shuttle board.

Ideas?

You'd have to prove that the PSU was faulty, and Antec would probably just replace that. They'll probably tell you that the PSU is not designed to be a surge/spike protector, and if you have a poor power supply in your house, you should have used a protector.

Almost every company has a non-consequential damages clause. Otherwise you could claim for extended damages, like for instance for the 10 million dollar best selling book on your hard drive (whether it is there or not).

It's worth talking to Antec to see if they will give you what you want as a goodwill gesture if the PSU is actually at fault.

Back