I quit smoking..

Sabastian said:
So cheers, life, is good.

Indeed it is! Care to join me is bludgeoning my smoking friends over the head with that message? Or is there no alternative to realising that oneself? *frustration*

Quitting smoking is easy, I've done it several times! ;)

Is smoking an average of 5 cigs a day bad for your health?
I smoke that much, and I like to make myself believe that can't be very harmful, you must get as much toxins in your lungs just by breathing the town air.

But I must say, even though I've never been a heavy smoker, I do feel much better and healthier when I've been without smoking for a week or two, so I guess I'd be much better off without.

Every cigarette harms, there is no such thing as a safe one. People who only smoke at weekends or "social smoke" are deluding themselves into thinking they aren't doing lasting damage. Any smoke will harm you, the only way to reverse that is to spend a long time having not smoked. Studies have shown that if you quit completley by 25 thyere will be no effect on life expectancy, anything past that is making your life shorter.

Yet people never actually think about that when they are lighting up. Never realise that what they are doing is another step towards a sticky, coughing, disease ridden death.

I seem to remember reading some article about the fact that it's not really worth it to cut back to just smoking 'a few' cigs per day, because the difference from not smoking at all to smoking 5 per day is so huge that you might as well go all out and smoke a pack per day. Basically the damage is already done if you're smoking at all so just smoking 'a little bit' won't really help, because the difference from 0 to 5 is huge while the difference between 5 and 20 isn't all that big (of course there'd be a difference, but relative to smoking 0-5 heh).

zurich said:
Just stick to your guns and stay stubborn. Reports suggest that, drinking a decent amount of water per day, it takes 7 days of not smoking to 'flush' the nicotine out of your body. Look to that as a goal for when the 'worst' will be over, and you'll be home free.

Yeah, I think that it would be good to set another goal in terms of going without. Then go on to longer periods until it is irrelevant.

Something that will cause problems yet though is the old lady still is smoking. Shes trying to cut back and quit but she doesn't have it in her. I come out of nowhere with this quit smoking scheme. I hope she can pull it off else she might start to resent me somehow.

Sabastian said:
Something that will cause problems yet though is the old lady still is smoking. Shes trying to cut back and quit but she doesn't have it in her. I come out of nowhere with this quit smoking scheme. I hope she can pull it off else she might start to resent me somehow.

Oh, trust me, she already resents you for something. :devilish:

j/k

John Reynolds said:
Oh, trust me, she already resents you for something. :devilish:

j/k

Meh, not a lot. I don't know what it was like for everyone who quits but my energy levels have gone through the roof.. Instead of 7-8 hours of sleep I'm getting like 3-4 waking up fully awake. Whats more is that I'm mauling my old lady to death when I'm asleep and that isn't your typical cuddling ether. She doesn't mind it that much except she is loosing a lot of sleep because of it. :devilish:

I've got a full week in on the smokeless agenda. Sometimes it is like I never quit smoking though and the cravings hit me out of nowhere. Quitting smoking was even more difficult then I thought it was going to be. I can understand better now why so many fail at quitting. I really think I will be plagued for sometime yet with the cravings.

I quit after 26 years. Not easy, but I went cold turkey. And I was really ready to do it. That was part of the key to sucess, really wanting to stop.
Good luck Sabastian. If you really ready to quit, you can do it.

Sabastian said:
I've got a full week in on the smokeless agenda. Sometimes it is like I never quit smoking though and the cravings hit me out of nowhere. Quitting smoking was even more difficult then I thought it was going to be. I can understand better now why so many fail at quitting. I really think I will be plagued for sometime yet with the cravings.

Well, Donaldson's Runes is released tomorrow so that'll help take your mind off the cravings (unless of course one of the main characters is a smoker <g>).

Silent_One said:
I quit after 26 years. Not easy, but I went cold turkey. And I was really ready to do it. That was part of the key to sucess, really wanting to stop.
Good luck Sabastian. If you really ready to quit, you can do it.

I couldn't agree more. I refer to it as want power as oppose to will power.

Anyhow I'm starting to think something is up with my system. It's like I'm running on jet fuel or something. My system is juiced. I can feel oxygen burning on my fucking tongue. I think I'm going insane, my old lady is starting to really take note of all the changes she thinks I've totally changed. Almost every night I'm fucking molesting my old lady in my god dammed sleep while she doesn't mind horribly I find that a tad shocking when I wake. Anyhow I've made a Dr appointment to see if I can have some light put on the whole matter. I don't think anything is terribly wrong because I feel very good but this energy level thing is freaking me out a bit.

Back