I need another hard drive....

Damn, the drive got here today before I took my daughter to kindergarden! :oops:

PCDirect out of Ohio, I'm gonna remember them. This is the second time I've ordered from them in the last few years and both times they were just excellent and it was disgustingly fast. :)

The only believable "evidence" I've heard about reliability was when I went into a store (mom and pops), and I asked one of the very cute girls there about their HDD RMAs, she said segate was the least followed by WD and then the rest.

Saem said:
The only believable "evidence" I've heard about reliability was when I went into a store (mom and pops), and I asked one of the very cute girls there about their HDD RMAs, she said segate was the least followed by WD and then the rest.
Well if she was very cute she must be right.
yep.gif

Damn, it took me forever to partition it...I popped in a 98se boot disk since I couldn't remember how in XP and just FDISKed it. :oops:

Formatting 'em now. 10, 20, 20, and 150. :)

digitalwanderer said:
Well if she was very cute she must be right.
yep.gif

Damn, it took me forever to partition it...I popped in a 98se boot disk since I couldn't remember how in XP and just FDISKed it. :oops:

Formatting 'em now. 10, 20, 20, and 150. :)
:oops:
Aren't you gonna need a bunch of small partitions because of teh limitations of teh fat32?
Btw right click my computer hit manage goto disk management.
You should have it from there- create a partition

That's because fdisk is a separate program, and when 98se came out NT was out and that had NTFS, IIRC, that was an older version of NTFS, which might actually be subpar (I know 2k has a newer version), mind you that might be not be a data representation thing and more a FS driver bit.

Just boot with the Windows XP cd and I think it has a screen based interface for partitioning and so on.

Saem said:
Just boot with the Windows XP cd and I think it has a screen based interface for partitioning and so on.

Yeah, the worst I've ever seen...

Partition Magic all the way.

Seagate drives are very good quality (barring the occasional bad apple you get from any maker of any product, naturally). Seagate's been good quality pretty much ever since they bought up Wren back in the early 90s, before then Seagate was the poster-boy for cheap yet crappy harddrives that didn't cost much and broke down fast. Wren however was a high-tech SCSI drive manufacturer and must have brought a lot of good influence.

Problem with them is however that their desktop drives are very very slow. They have weak shitty actuators, which lead to quiet, but sluggish seeks, and thus rotten access times. And access time is the deciding factor that determines overall harddrive performance...

I personally would not ever get a seagate as long as their performance trails the leaders by so much (primarily hitachi). It's not worth it, particulary not for a boot drive.

Guden Oden said:
Seagate drives are very good quality (barring the occasional bad apple you get from any maker of any product, naturally). Seagate's been good quality pretty much ever since they bought up Wren back in the early 90s, before then Seagate was the poster-boy for cheap yet crappy harddrives that didn't cost much and broke down fast. Wren however was a high-tech SCSI drive manufacturer and must have brought a lot of good influence.

Problem with them is however that their desktop drives are very very slow. They have weak shitty actuators, which lead to quiet, but sluggish seeks, and thus rotten access times. And access time is the deciding factor that determines overall harddrive performance...

I personally would not ever get a seagate as long as their performance trails the leaders by so much (primarily hitachi). It's not worth it, particulary not for a boot drive.

All hard drives have there weak and strong points. Some of Seagates strong points are reliabilaty and some of the fastest write speeds. The weak points are the seek and read speeds.

Back