I hate IE

mkillio

Regular
I had beta 1 of IE 7.0 and I dowloaded beta 2. When I tried to install it I got a message saying to uninstall the old version in the add/remove programs. IE wasn't listed so I tried to delete the actual files. I got rid of most of them but some said they were still in use. Now I can neither open or install beta 2 or IE 6 because it's an "older version" and I can't find beta 1 anywhere. The only reason I'm even using IE is because of a program I have to use for home work assignments. Any ideas?

Theres a box you have to check on the top of the add/remove window labeled windows updates, it will then display all MS software and updates.

ANova said:
Theres a box you have to check on the top of the add/remove window labeled windows updates, it will then display all MS software and updates.

That allowed me to install IE7 but whenever I try to open it, it pops up for a fraction of a second and closes, both on the screen and task manager.

hupfinsgack said:
Boot to the command line, delete the files in use and try installing again.

I don't know how to do that.

When it comes to Microsoft products, I generally steer way clear of beta versions, and wait until at least the first release candidates ... .

A colleague of mine had a similar problem and couldn't solve it - he eventually reinstalled his whole machine. It was for work and so not having IE wasn't an option. :D

Erm, you want to uninstall it from the add/remove window, not install it; unless it's too screwed up now that it won't uninstall. In that case your best bet is to just remove all remnants manually using the command prompt like hup mentioned or using dos.

Last edited by a moderator:
ANova said:
Erm, you want to uninstall it from the add/remove window, not install it; unless it's too screwed up now that it won't uninstall. In that case your best bet is to just remove all remnants manually using the command prompt like hup mentioned or using dos.

Yeah, I thought it was beyond repair. It's the last resort if if everything else fails

Back