Hungry and pissed off.

Guden Oden

Legend
Broke, bought milk and eggs to make a pancake in the oven with my last money of the month.

Started pouring the stuff into my mixer, then when I was about to lift it up onto the food processor I noticed it was leaking...

OH CRAP.

The piece of shit mixer had cracked where the knives screws into the bottom, and that meant I had milk and eggwhite mix all over the big stove plate. GGGNNNHHHHHHHH!!!

No dinner for me today, or tomorrow either for that matter, as one of these pancakes lasts me two days. Fucking piece of shit mixer, goddamn!

I probably have stuff like this happen to me because I swear so much. :mad:

Guden Oden said:
Broke, bought milk and eggs to make a pancake in the oven with my last money of the month.

Started pouring the stuff into my mixer, then when I was about to lift it up onto the food processor I noticed it was leaking...

OH CRAP.

The piece of shit mixer had cracked where the knives screws into the bottom, and that meant I had milk and eggwhite mix all over the big stove plate. GGGNNNHHHHHHHH!!!

No dinner for me today, or tomorrow either for that matter, as one of these pancakes lasts me two days. Fucking piece of shit mixer, goddamn!

You make Pancakes in the oven? I am intrigued. Please explain.

If you still have some eggs and any kind of random bits of food, then you might try my Omelette Pie http://www.gelp.net/index.php?FILEID=omelette .

Mashed potato sandwiches can be made very cheaply and are very filling.

You use a mixer? I just use a big clear bowl and a fork.. much easer without the hassle of a mixer.

p.s Im broke too.. just did some shopping and got no cash till next week.

Captain Chickenpants said:
You make Pancakes in the oven? I am intrigued. Please explain.
It's really quite simple.

Basic recipe:
3 fresh eggs (though I actually use 6 :oops:), preferably from free-range hens.
8 dl milk
4 dl wheat flour
Pinch of salt (optional)
Salty pork (optional)

Start oven, set temp to 200-225 degrees C. While it heats up, break eggs into bowl (or in my case, cracked mixer), add milk. Add flour while stirring vigorously to prevent lumps. And the salt, if you like.

Cut pork into dice. You can trim away excessive fat etc if you like. Spread out pork dice in a deep oven pan, and put in oven to cook for a while and get a little color while the pancake batter "rests". Remove pan from oven and if neccessary, butter it if it isn't anti-stick treated. Pour batter into pan; distribute optional pork dice evenly; put back pan in the middle of the oven and cook for about 30-45 minutes; the pancake will rise A LOT as it cooks so don't put it too high up or it will get burnt on top while not being finished all the way through. When it looks nice and deep golden brown, remove it and let it cool off for a bit; this will make it solidify and make it easier to cut.

This dish is traditionally served with lingonberry jam (can often be bought at IKEA). There are no specified extras apart from the jam, but you may want to have a salad or something on the side to add some fiber or something. ;)

Alternatively: skip the pork and make a plain pancake, and when it is out of the oven, let it cool to room temperature. Cut it into squares. Heat a frying pan and butterfry the squares until nice and golden and crisp. Don't fry too much at one time or it's hard to get them evenly colored. Then serve on a plate with sugar sprinkled on top: pure heaven to eat! :D You feel like a little kid again, this is happy-food for the brain, hehehe...

Actually, you can do this even with the pork variety, it works well that way also but it's easier without it as the little bits tend to come off in the pan and get a bit over cooked...

Mashed potato sandwiches can be made very cheaply and are very filling.
Mashed potato SANDWICHES? Never heard of it... :) How do you do 'em?

When you getting payed Guden? I just got payed today...but threw down $144 on a AMD 64 3000+ (Venice)...out of a $570 paycheck. Fortunatley my fathers working also...but thats the only spending i'll be doing this week (probably will hit me hard before my next paycheck)...all this in the name of Battlefield 2!

Just do what they do in the CitiBank commercial (I think it's CitiBank), use the garbage disposal to mix things.

Mmm...have to try out the recipe, or have the little lady try it out (as my cooking abilities are nil). :LOL:

Guden Oden said:

OH CRAP.

how come you're so broke?

I was guessing buying free range eggs when you're on a fixed income would be part of it.

p.s. you don't want to stir your batter vigorously; the fewer stirs the better. At least if you're looking for fluffy pancakes. Admittedly, what you call a pancake and what I call a pancake could be entirely different things. We cook them on a skillet, with no oven. And certainly no pork cooked in. Anyways, the more you stir, the more gluten gets activated and you end up with chewier bread. Also, use all purpose flour rather than bread flour. All purpose has less gluten.

We use wheat berries in a blender with milk, eggs, salt, honey, brown sugar (and maybe a tad baking powder). Toss it into a blender all together to process the wheat berries and then cook in a skillet.

Best pancakes I have ever had. Most have a funny after taste, these are really full flavored and have a wonderful texture. The fresh wheat berries are yum yum!

Best part is we got 5 5G buckets of organic wheat berries from someone's Y2K stash :cool: Not joke. We made friends with a couple who had bought a couple tons of wheat berries and other dried veggies and stored them in buckets. After Y2k they had no use for them. When they met us and found out we home cook everything they offered us a TON (almost literally!) of the stuff :LOL:

If I could I would send Guden some :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
WhiningKhan said:
He'd have to be pretty extreme ovivore for that to have any effect...
Truly. But from my experience, somebody doesn't buy JUST free range eggs. They buy organic everything, which is quite a bit more expensive than the regular stuff.

RussSchultz said:
Truly. But from my experience, somebody doesn't buy JUST free range eggs. They buy organic everything, which is quite a bit more expensive than the regular stuff.

Maybe, but there could be a slight cultural/economical difference between our homeplaces. At least I pick free range eggs if I get to choose, but I don't buy organic food except in the cases when I know from experience that the organic product has a taste advantage. The same applies to most people I know well enough to be aware of their shopping behaviour (not a large group, though). The 'alternative' eggs have such good availability and media support that they seem to be there to stay.

I think people around here have such good faith in domestic food that the actual organic food hasn't got much attention, though. Our farms are still significantly smaller on average than in the US, and the traceability and security of the food processing chain is on a high level. At least people think so.

RussSchultz said:
I was guessing buying free range eggs
These are not expensive over here.

when you're on a fixed income
What the hell would you know about it? :devilish:

p.s. you don't want to stir your batter vigorously; the fewer stirs the better.
Maybe for your funny american un-pancakes, but a vigorous stir traps more air, leading to a fluffy edge all around

Admittedly, what you call a pancake and what I call a pancake could be entirely different things.
Oh, I make more regular ones too in a frying pan. Of course, I don't add any raising agent to the batter - yuk! bad aftertaste - to mine so they don't puff up. In fact, I make mine large and extremely thin. It's basically same recipe, except for a full liter of milk.

the more gluten gets activated and you end up with chewier bread. Also, use all purpose flour rather than bread flour. All purpose has less gluten.
Actually, I prefer to use high-protein wheat flour, as that makes stronger pancakes that don't tear as easily when flipping over. They're not chewy at all, they're supple and ultra yummy. However it's such a bother to stand there at the stove and fry pancakes for over an hour, much easier to make it in the oven. :)

Back