How to safely test GPU cards with unknown condition?

orangpelupa

Elite Bug Hunter
Legend
so... my RTX 3070 is rattling again. I found old GPU cards from bygone era that im not sure wheter they are alive or not or gonna explode or not....

any idea how to safely test them? preferably without explosion....

so i can use them while i RMA my RTX 3070 again.

btw visual inspections shows nothing wrong with them, other than metal parts are rusting (DVI ports, screws, etc).

You might want to boot in Windows safe mode first and uninstall the gpu driver. Make sure you have a display driver that supports your card.

You might want to boot in Windows safe mode first and uninstall the gpu driver. Make sure you have a display driver that supports your card.
I'm worried it would explode way before windows. Like as soon as I turned it on

If you have done it before take the fan shroud off and look at the different components to see if any damage or leaking.
Should be some youtube videos that look at different parts of pcb for failure.

metal parts are rusting (DVI ports, screws, etc).
:eek: Okay, I'm starting to understand the steady flow of failures you've reported here. Sounds like we could use your home as accelerated aging test facility for our products.
No offense honestly, but I've never even imagined that might start happening in 'normal' environment.

so... my RTX 3070 is rattling again. I found old GPU cards from bygone era that im not sure wheter they are alive or not or gonna explode or not....

any idea how to safely test them? preferably without explosion....

so i can use them while i RMA my RTX 3070 again.

btw visual inspections shows nothing wrong with them, other than metal parts are rusting (DVI ports, screws, etc).
Mail 'em all to me and I'll toss them in a old rig to see if they work and I'll send you back most all of the working ones! :D

Honestly that's how I check them. I use like the computer behind my wife's TV we barely use or throw one together out of extra bits. An advantage to being a tech hoarder.

EDITED BITS: "metal parts are rusting" can be a very bad sign. If they were stored in a humid environment they really could have some catastrophic failures on boot. Please don't test any rusty ones in a good system!

:eek: Okay, I'm starting to understand the steady flow of failures you've reported here. Sounds like we could use your home as accelerated aging test facility for our products.
No offense honestly, but I've never even imagined that might start happening in 'normal' environment.

Its quite humid here. Anything that's not regularly aired out would get moldy and/or rusty.

Even my psvr got moldy inside its original box.

Please don't test any rusty ones in a good system!

All of them are rusty hahaha.

Ugh I should have bought ryzen apu instead of cpu...

Back