How to not get repeat customers

KimB

Legend
It's been a rather interesting couple of days, to say the least, and I feel I need to get the ordeal off of my chest.

Here's what happened:
About a year ago, I purchased a pre-paid calling card from callingcard.com. The rates were $0.03 per minute for most calls, with no expiration or monthly fees. A quick scan of the website shows they still offer very similar services.

Now, in December, a merger between Callingcard.com and ITP finalized (website: www.itp4you.com). Prior to the merger, I received two e-mails from Callingcard.com, which included the text:
If you choose to keep only your calling card, Nothing Will Change. Your access number will remain the same and your user log-in and password will remain the same. In addtion, all the services you have will remain the same. Your calling card services will remain exactly the same as they have in the past. Your only change will be better quality.
(emphasis not mine)

In January, I stopped using the card, as I decided to try a prepaid Cell phone for my calling needs.

Now, fast forward six months later. I receive this little gem of an e-mail:
Dear Sir or Madam,

Please contact us regarding your ITP bill, which is past due.

Account [hidden]

Please feel free to contact us about any questions you might have through the web contact system, or you can reach customer support at 888-487-1110.

Do not reply to this email, it will not be read.

Thank you

ITP customer support.
I had never updated my address with this company since I never expected to see any bills from them, and thus this was the first notification I ever had of seeing a bill. But they had switched me over to a $2/month account, without my consent (and I never saw the e-mail which they claim they sent), and with $5 late fees each month, my account was now up to $45 owed.

Now, on to their customer service. My God it's got to be about the worst I've seen. I was disconnected from being on hold four or five times (apparently there's a time limit of ~20 minutes). I got through to a person four different times, but was disconnected 3 of the 4 times, and the fourth time the essence of the call was, "tough shit."

So here's a company that, after its newly-purchased customers had been told repeatedly that their service would not change, changes these customers' service, in an obvious and blatant attempt to pilfer their purchased customers out of as much money as they can get. ITP, you are officially on my shit list now.

FYI, if they have your CC on record and happen to make an attempt to charge these fees to your CC you can nail them. If this happens contact your CC company, explain the situation and forward the email you received about your service not changing and explain you never signed up for this service or with ITP. They will take it form there.

i call my wife in South africa all the time. I use tel3.com, about 10c/minute. I assume your calling china, their base china rate is 2.9c/min, you might look into it. No need for calling cards, heck of alot easier.

epic

Acert93 said:
FYI, if they have your CC on record and happen to make an attempt to charge these fees to your CC you can nail them. If this happens contact your CC company, explain the situation and forward the email you received about your service not changing and explain you never signed up for this service or with ITP. They will take it form there.
Well, the credit card they have on file expired, so my only worry right now is that I'll get sent to collections. $45 is in the grey area where companies may or may not do this. I'm not quite sure what that would do to my credit rating if they did, but I think I'm going to have to look at my credit report more closely.

epicstruggle said:
i call my wife in South africa all the time. I use tel3.com, about 10c/minute. I assume your calling china, their base china rate is 2.9c/min, you might look into it. No need for calling cards, heck of alot easier.

epic
Er, why would I be calling China?

Chalnoth said:
the fourth time the essence of the call was, "tough shit."
So what are you going to do about it? I assume you're not going to be satisfied with an answer like that, I certainly wouldn't...

If they give your grief

report them to the better business bureau

or get one of your local news' consumer report section

Back