How much could I sell my computer for?

mkillio

Regular
Since I got a laptop I haven't really used my desktop at all and it's getting a little outdated for gaming so I was thinking of selling it.

P4 3.0Ghz
Asus MB
ATI X700 256 AGP
1GB 3200
120GB SATA HD
52x DVD/CD-RW
Sound Blaster Aufigy 2 ZS

I can come up with more specifics if need, i.e. actual mobo, PS, etc.

I'll probably take the money from it to buy a new laptop. I have a Compaq Evo N600c which is enough power (PIII-M 1.1 GHz) but the battery is pretty iffy and it runs a little hot.

Last edited by a moderator:
gaming is still possible on that PC (while it sure isn't the greatest)

my order of magnitude estimate, $300

about the laptop, I wonder if we can find thin laptops with a VIA C7 processor and good battery, that'd be nice.

You might as well hang on to that laptop for a while before selling. Yes, you can get a decent laptop for a good price nowadays, but the speed increase won't be that big. I say wait at least until Core 2 Duo is in laptops and prices are decent.

FYI, here's what I recently bought for $530 after rebates and taxes:
-14", 5.4 lbs
-Turion ML-34 (1.8 GHz)
-512MB RAM
-80 GB HDD
-DVD RW
-ATI Express 200M (yeah, integrated sucks, but at least it's better than a GMA950)

mkillio said:
Since I got a laptop I haven't really used my desktop at all and it's getting a little outdated for gaming so I was thinking of selling it.

P4 3.0Ghz
Asus MB
ATI X700 256 AGP
1GB 3200
120GB SATA HD
52x DVD/CD-RW
Sound Blaster Aufigy 2 ZS

I can come up with more specifics if need, i.e. actual mobo, PS, etc.

I'll probably take the money from it to buy a new laptop. I have a Compaq Evo N600c which is enough power (PIII-M 1.1 GHz) but the battery is pretty iffy and it runs a little hot.

depending on mobo and PSU, $300 might be a slightly low estimate
that CPU can still command around $100 on ebay, the X700 can command around $50 (at most), the RAM is capable of driving near $100 (what RAM exactly? the good stuff like TCCD or BH5, or something cheaper like UTT or lesser)

but btwn the CPU, video card, and RAM, you could probably get $300, depending on the PSU and mobo, probably closer to $500-$600, although that isn't a 100% definite figure

I'd say ebay it if you want any $ from it though

I just sold a PC with an:
Athlon XP 3200+
1.25GB ram
Shuttle Nforce2 board
ATI X800XT 256MB AGP
200GB Western Digital harddrive
16x DVDRW
550w power supply

For $250, though I think I undersold it by at least $100 but I mainly just wanted to get rid of the outdated piece of hardware. Sadly I didn't realize it still costs about $500 just to build the same hardware now, so I'm stuck on my Thinkpad for the time being until I can gather up enough money to build something much better than the PC I sold. (though economically, since my PC still played all current games, the best deal for me would have been to keep it...but the lack of any power saving technology sucked, that thing heated up the room like crazy)

Your PC is mostly worse than mine (though better in some ways) so I'd say $300 to $350 for it. Parting it out might bring you more, since Socket 478 processors and AGP video cards sell for decent amounts now. Might be more work selling it individually, but if you make more money that way, why not?

the RAM is capable of driving near $100 (what RAM exactly? the good stuff like TCCD or BH5, or something cheaper like UTT or lesser)

No way, for used memory maybe $60 tops, unless he's got some really good stuff.

i concur with Fox5 -- this pc isn't worth much. it's worth more in parts, though, if you can spare the extra time & effort. i'd say mobo + cpu, $80 (unless it's a really, really full featured mobo), ram, $60, video card $30, hdd $30, dvdrom $25. case and psu could be worth up to $80 unless you need to ship it -- in which case shipping costs may offset your selling price by a lot -- maybe $40. Again, if any of these parts is unusually nice, or if you can pass that hdd off as new or near-new, then you could get more. but i wouldn't bank on it. my stepfather just bought a compaq with a sempron 2800 & 512 mb ram in it for $250. which is not to say that your build doesn't have advantages over a compaq sempron -- it's just that modern budget pieces are awfully cheap.

if the CPU is a Northwood I'd consider putting it on ebay, else I wouldn't bother too much.
you could try selling the whole PC minus the sound card for $300.
Maybe you can sell the X700 (and maybe sound card) to a friend or someone, get his old card and sell the PC with it.

X700 isn't that bad of a card (it's an 8 pipe), it's worth at least $50-$60 rather than $30 IMO.

Back