How do you read books?

K.I.L.E.R said:
Thanks guys.

What's bustrophedic?
Boustrophedonic: Literally "as the ox plows" or something like that.

Great for cache coherency :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing from the metaphor, line by line, word by word. Slightly broken without the normal "conversational flow". ??

K.I.L.E.R said:
I don't really understand how that would help.

Perhaps you skipped the line where I wrote:
Crisidelm said:
...No wait, your math books aren't written in Etrurian language I suppose...
That's because the written language of the Etrurian was bustrophedic (yes Simon, the ethimology of the word is from ancient Greek:"(like) ox plows". The ancient Greek also wrote bustrophedicly, mostly from top to bottom and bottom to top): and I wonder how they could read it fluently, but then again, they probably did not at all. Or perhaps they could, and that would mean that their reading skills were much greater than ours today.

K.I.L.E.R said:
I get it now. It was a joke. :)
Seriously though, I seem to recall that some of those "speed reading" techniques suggest using boustrophedon order. My brain, however, is not up to that sort of thing!

Simon F said:
Seriously though, I seem to recall that some of those "speed reading" techniques suggest using boustrophedon order. My brain, however, is not up to that sort of thing!
In fact, if you can (or learn to somehow) read that way, you're going to achieve a notable speed boost in finishing books. And also memorize them better, it seems.
I think the trick is to treat words like small pictures...

If you have trouble concentrating while reading you might be experiencing eye-sight problems.
Do you find yourself defocusing unconsciously and feeling your thoughts deviate to other things? Eye-troubles.. :D

But judging from your web-persona I'd say you have ADD. :p

It depends on the type of book that I'm reading. If it's something that explains 3D and mathematical concepts, then I'll read it very carefully, trying to mentally construct a simulation of what they're talking about -- and I'll do it as many times as necessary to truly understand the concept.

Now, when learning programming languages/APIs, I'll typically read what the algorithm or syntactic feature is supposed to do (just the high level description in the title or something), read the code before the explanation, try to come up with my own explanation of what is happening, and then compare it with the written one, to guage and try to sharpen my logic and ability to figure things out.

Crisidelm said:
Alternately (linewise), from left to right and right to left.

Actually, I do that quite often. I also tend to just look over a paragraph in a very speedy fashion and get some 95% of the content. But that works only with normal literature, not with any professional (maths, physics, electronics etc.) stuff.

So I would read as I would type?
Type would I as read would I so?

Is this what you guys are talking about?

K.I.L.E.R said:
So I would read as I would type?
Type would I as read would I so?

Is this what you guys are talking about?
Errr yes...

I think, for completeness, you should also apply ROT13 at the same time :devilish:
Fb V jbhyq ernq nf V jbhyq glcr?
Glcr jbhyq V nf ernq jbhyq V fb?

Vf guvf jung lbh thlf ner gnyxvat nobhg?

I've just done something really dumb.

I've read the OpenGL viewing chapter before the frame chapter and I didn't really have any trouble understanding it until it started talking about a change in frames.

I remember what the teacher went over but that wasn't enough and so I'm back to square 1. :LOL:

Back