HotD: "Microsoft pulls plug on potty-mouth Santa"

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/120407-microsoft-santa-bot.html

An artificial-intelligence Santa bot operated by Microsoft to talk to children wavered off topic saying: “It’s fun to talk about oral sex, but I want to chat about something else....”

Microsoft Tuesday confirmed the bot’s potty mouth and snipped Santa’s Web connection.

“Yesterday we received reports that the automated Santa Claus agent in Windows Live Messenger used inappropriate language. As soon as we were alerted, we took steps to mitigate the issue, including the removal of language from the agent’s automated script. We were not completely satisfied with the result of these actions, and have decided to discontinue the automated Santa Claus agent,” Microsoft said in a statement sent to Network World.

No wonder he's so jolly!

Sounds like a scene from "Are you being served?" :rolleyes:.... which I suspect most of you are far too young (and perhaps fortunate) to remember.

Oh no, Santa said sex. Uh, that's a dirty word now?

What? Is that a joke? You know in America thousands if not tens of thousands of parents complain about their kids being subjected to sexual education due to what they learn in it right? They are heavily offended by the words and function of the penis and vagina. If they had their way we'd all go through life with imagery of plastic barbie and ken doll parts in place of the nude form. Although i've heard first hand of people calling municiple offices over nude mannequins left in store windows over night so thats problably not kosher either.

And you thought an oral sex joke made by a virtual santa was going to escape in a messanger service? Har har.

What? Is that a joke? You know in America thousands if not tens of thousands of parents complain about their kids being subjected to sexual education due to what they learn in it right? They are heavily offended by the words and function of the penis and vagina. If they had their way we'd all go through life with imagery of plastic barbie and ken doll parts in place of the nude form. Although i've heard first hand of people calling municiple offices over nude mannequins left in store windows over night so thats problably not kosher either.

And you thought an oral sex joke made by a virtual santa was going to escape in a messanger service? Har har.

No, no. I understand perfectly that American parents like to pretend that their early teen kids with their raging hormons are innocent little angels who do not masturbate themselves silly while fantasizing about all sorts of sexual activities. That's not the point, we all know that Americans are touchy in that regard. It's old news, so joking about it would be kinda lame - you know, like Bush jokes, it has been done to death.

What I meant was literally "sex is a dirty word?". Since when? Fuck is a dirty word. Cunt is a dirty word. And so are some of the more colourful terms denoting sexual organs or activities. But the word "sex" isn't dirty, it's clinical, isn't it?

well I think oral sex would be specific enough to get some people pissed off.

I don't agree with that though. I think this is hilarious. I wonder what else it could have learned.

Back