Help: System not booting - Motherboard DOA?

Hi,

Hi, I'm building a new system and I'm running into a big problem, hopefully somebody here can help.

Setup:

MSI P965 Platinum
Intel E6420
550W Ebuyer Value PSU
XFX 7600GT 256mb
OCZ Special ops 2gig PC2-6400 800 RAM
Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200.10 SataII/300
HP DVD940i 18x IDE
Antec NSK6000 case

Problem:

I installed everything (CPU, Fan/Heatsink, Ram, Graphics, HDD, DVD, USB Bracket), connected all cables, connected the system fan and finally connected the PSU.

When I power on the system the PSU powers up, the system fan starts spinning - and that's it. CPU fan does not start spinning, no error sound or anything - and no screen starting to appear. Also, the graphics card fan isn't spinning either.

The top 2 lights on the USB back bracket go red.

I tried reinstalling the CPU, disconnected all the cables except for the power switch to do a minimum start with just the CPU, Ram and Graphics - same problem.

The question is, is the Motherboard faulty or the CPU? The PSU seems to work fine, as it powers up and the system fan is spinning. Here's the PSU specs for reference:

Rail Stats:

+3.3V +5V +12V -5V -12V +5VSB
28A 35A 30A 0.5A 0.8A 2.5A

All components are brand new by the way.

I have since cleared the CMOS, but no luck either. I also tried it with the motherboard removed from the case, but same result.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

(I tried to search the forum but I couldn't find a similar problem. I also posted on other forums, but maybe somebody here can help.)

Try disconnecting anything except for the case wires and the power lead to the motherboard, and removing the video card and the memory. Turn it on. If it beeps, the motherboard and PSU are fine. Then, connect / plug in all the other stuff one by one.

thanks for that!

no beep :cry:

So I've narrowed it down to the Motherboard and PSU. The system fans are spinning, and the PSU powering up.

So I guess it's likely to be the Motherboard?

thanks for that!

no beep :cry:

So I've narrowed it down to the Motherboard and PSU. The system fans are spinning, and the PSU powering up.

So I guess it's likely to be the Motherboard?
If you're sure the speaker is connected, then yes.

good news! It was the motherboard, but I was able to fix it.

One of the pins on the 12v connector was bent down, so the CPU didn't get any power. I'm typing this from my new system :D

Thanks again for your advise Frank.

Back