HD WMV vid clips

Leto

Newcomer
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_provider/film/ContentShowcase.aspx

A bunch of HDTV clips for download in 720p and 1080p

Optimum Configuration
(to play 1080p video with 5.1 surround sound)

Windows XP
Windows Media Player 9 Series
DirectX 9.0
3.0 GHz processor or equivalent
512 MB of RAM
128 MB video card
1920 x 1440 screen resolution
24-bit 96 kHz multichannel sound card
5.1 surround sound speaker system

:oops: Does anyone know if this format will use the HDTV decoders on x800 and gf6800?

Jeeez... with those kind of specs required, i'd be surprised if there were any hardware accelleration involved.. but u never know...

I had a link to Space Shuttle launches in HDTV, but it seems like I lost it. :/

I have the clips on my hd, they are _huge_ though... 1.3G for 9m38s. They don't play all that smoothly either, I have to shut down all programs when starting and it skips anyway at times on my XP1700+. Bloody amazing picture quality anyway!

Dunno but I remember I was watching the 1080 Coral Reef movie last year when it's came out with no problem and I had a 2500MHz OCed Barton + 9700 Pro at the time...

BTW if you want continous HD feed like me (that's why I bought my 24" 16:10 CRT years ago :D), go to http://www.atomfilms.com/ and download their player/client sw - this is DLing me all the new HD movies. :)

MPI said:
I had a link to Space Shuttle launches in HDTV, but it seems like I lost it. :/

I have the clips on my hd, they are _huge_ though... 1.3G for 9m38s. They don't play all that smoothly either, I have to shut down all programs when starting and it skips anyway at times on my XP1700+. Bloody amazing picture quality anyway!

What compression? It's definitely too small to be uncompressed - I just happened to capture 1,5 hours uncompressed 1080i 8bit 30Hz 23.976 footage, that's a LOT of space plus you have to sustain ~140 MB/s! - and IIRC WMV9 would be smaller for 9 mins...

T2k said:
What compression? It's definitely too small to be uncompressed - I just happened to capture 1,5 hours uncompressed 1080i 8bit 30Hz 23.976 footage, that's a LOT of space plus you have to sustain ~140 MB/s! - and IIRC WMV9 would be smaller for 9 mins...

Yikes, 140MB/s... You'd need a striped 3-set RAID0 or something? Damn. :)

Anyways, they are MPEG2 1280x780, not wmv9.

Yeah, that's nice: 7 pcs of 73GB SCSI320 HDD in RAID0 in the PCI-X 100MHz + capture card from Blackmagic in the PCI-X 133MHz... 8)

We had to hook up the drives to another machine's power connectors because the HP xw8000's PSU isn't enough... :LOL:

I watched 3 films, and wasn't to impressed with 720P, it had compression artifacts, at like 8mb/s, that's pretty ineffcient, and didn't look much better than a dvd.
I am running 1152x864 res, kill me for not using a starnard res ;) but 1024 is too big.
I use a viewsonic E771 .. econo I believe.. 17"

radeonic2 said:
I watched 3 films, and wasn't to impressed with 720P, it had compression artifacts, at like 8mb/s, that's pretty ineffcient, and didn't look much better than a dvd.

I have HDTV home and I can assure you: 720p looks MUCH better than a DVD in real life... 8)

A buddy of mine caps HD movies on his pc and a standard movie is about 12 gig. The biggest one he has is LOTR:Fellowship, which is almost 20gig, but the quality is fucking amazing. Hooked his comp up to a projecter and it looks like you could just walk into the movie.

Typically WM9HD is not the best thing for HD. You tend to get a lot more motion blur when compaired to a .ts (transportstream) files. Plus .ts files can store 2.1, 4.1, 5.1 audio.

101998 said:
A buddy of mine caps HD movies on his pc and a standard movie is about 12 gig. The biggest one he has is LOTR:Fellowship, which is almost 20gig, but the quality is fucking amazing. Hooked his comp up to a projecter and it looks like you could just walk into the movie.

COmpressed, you mean.

Typically WM9HD is not the best thing for HD. You tend to get a lot more motion blur when compaired to a .ts (transportstream) files. Plus .ts files can store 2.1, 4.1, 5.1 audio.

1. ? TS is not a format AFAIK... for example HDV is an interframe-compressed MPEG-2 transport stream...

2. WMV9 is perfectly suited up to 7.1 channel.

Ok, i dont know much about HD WMV, but i know that HD_DVD or bluray will gonna kill HD WMV in term of visuasl and sound..........

Correct me if im half wrong........

T2k said:
radeonic2 said:

I have HDTV home and I can assure you: 720p looks MUCH better than a DVD in real life... 8)
Shouldn't I be able to tell a diff?
Maybe its just the demos I downloaded?
I run at 1152x864..

dantruon said:
Ok, i dont know much about HD WMV, but i know that HD_DVD or bluray will gonna kill HD WMV in term of visuasl and sound..........

Correct me if im half wrong........

Bluray is using .h264 no?

We've chatted this topic up a tad over at slackercentral, I posted some configuration tweaks in the 3dfx refugees bookmarks thread.

Two good free players are the VLC media player http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ and Zoom Player. http://www.inmatrix.com/

Media Player Classic is good too but the cpu hit with it is generally a bit higher.

InterVideo's WinDVD 6 can play HDTV TS (transport stream) files but you need to access them through the playlist. Through the playlist browse to the folder and enter *.* when specifying files to look for.

The TS files will now be in your playlist.

Another method, untested by me, is renaming the TS file extension to .trp

There's a .reg tweak for better than default quality with interlaced movies but sadly slackercentral is down at the moment and the link to it escapes me.

There's a tweak for Zoom Player that drastically reduces the cpu hit with TS files at little to no IQ loss.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=395039

Using ffdshow will bust it though.

nm88
Advanced Member

quote:Originally posted by jmwfl2000
Could someone please enlighten me how to accomplish this.

1. Get and install:

* Zoom Player (latest v4 beta is good)
* Universal OpenSource MPEG Splitter [corrected link 6/30/04]
* AC3Filter
* Sasem OnAir HD Editor v1.07 -- install only the FilterSDK setup file located in the FilterSDK subdirectory, ignore the main directory

2. Go to Zoom Player's options menu (Ctrl+O in latest beta), select "Filter Control" from the left, select the "Customized Media Playback" tab at the very top, then select the "Settings & Renderers" tab below. From there:

* Check the "Enable Customized Media Playback" tab
* Check the "Show Customized Media Graph creation errors" tab (for debugging until you're sure it's working right)
* Pick Overlay Mixer as the default rendering filter (or VMR9 if you prefer, though Overlay is usually faster)

3. Select the "Source Filters & Splitters" tab, and under the "Audio / Video Splitters" box on the right, double click on "MPEG2 Transport" and select the OpenSource MPEG Splitter predefined profile. (When selecting filters in this step and the next steps, it's a good idea to click the "Verify" button to make sure the filters are properly installed and registered.) If you're not using the latest ZP beta, it may not be predefined and you may need to select it manually from the filter list by removing all the listed filters, clicking "Add Filter" and selecting it from the list. If you are playing non-transport stream MPEG-2 files as well, such as from PVR software, do the same for "MPEG2 Program", otherwise leave it alone.

4. Move to the "Audio & Video Decoders" tab. From there:

* Double click "AC3" under "Audio Decoders" and select the "AC3filter" predefined profile (this is the default in the latest beta)
* (Optional if you are playing non-transport MPEG-2 files, probably unnecessary) Double click "MPEG2 Audio" under "Audio Decoders", remove all existing filters, click "Add Filter" and select "InterVideo NonCSS Audio Decoder for Sasem".
* Double click "MPEG2 Video" under "Video Decoders", remove all existing filters, select "Add Filter" and pick "InterVideo NonCSS Video Decoder for Sasem". [edit 6/30/04 -- do not add ffdshow or any other filters after Sasem's, this will screw up the deinterlacing]

5. Load up a TS, TP, or plain old MPEG2 file. If you have multiple subchannels in the transport stream, right click on the ZP window while playing and from the menu select the "Stream Selector" option. This will bring up a sub-menu with all the possible audio and video streams from the OpenSource MPEG Splitter. You will also probably need to set up AC3filter, accessible through the "Filter Properties" tab while the file is playing, to select SPDIF output or any number of downmix options depending on your HTPC setup.

Last edited by nm88 on 06-30-04 at 09:00 PM

I realize the above isn't strictly related to WM9 HD playback but I'm thinking it likely the information is of interest to at least a few reading this thread. Sorry for going OT.

P.S. I can playback everything just dandy with only a P4 2.4 GHz cpu and a Radeon 9700 Pro.

Also, not all WM9 encodes are created equal, quality seems to vary greatly. I've read of people tying up their machines for days on a single movie.

T2k said:
Dunno but I remember I was watching the 1080 Coral Reef movie last year when it's came out with no problem and I had a 2500MHz OCed Barton + 9700 Pro at the time...

BTW if you want continous HD feed like me (that's why I bought my 24" 16:10 CRT years ago :D), go to http://www.atomfilms.com/ and download their player/client sw - this is DLing me all the new HD movies. :)

Thanks for the info!

Am I at the right spot?

http://atomfilms.shockwave.com/af/spotlight/collections/hidef/

http://atomshockwave.com/asw_pressrelease_012004.htm

<snip>
Additionally, 'AtomFilms Hi-Def' users also have the option to receive two films each month that are viewable at almost three times the resolution of DVD video: Windows Media High-Definition Video (WMV HD) at 720p resolution. This enables a stunning visual experience for users with Windows XP-based machines and marks the first time that true high definition movies are available on the Internet.
<snip>

Back