Have you seen Ong Bak?

There is a scene in Tom Yum Goong (which is mistakenly called "Ong Bak II" at a lot of places, but the stories are totally unrelated) where Tony Ja fights his way up five flights of stairs in like a TOTALLY cool 10 minute pan shot.

They never break the angle, it's one continous shot....I can't imagine how hard that must have been to pull off but it sure was impressive as hell.

I think Tony Ja has got a hell of a career ahead of him.

I have only seen Ong Bak, and the story must have been written by a 5 year old, and a drunken one at that and the acting is beyond badbut does that matter? NO! With action sequences like that you are prepared to deal with anything:smile: , definitely entertaining even though you might be laughing at some of the "drama" scenes...

Loved Ong Bak, was not too impressed by Tom Yum Goong, it seemed quite poorly put together. The final sequence kind of over-used the crunch sound effect. The fight sequences were cool though. [edit] To be fair I was watching the Hong Kong release which doesn't have English sub-titles or soundtrack, and I don't speak Cantonese or Thai. [/edit]

Ong bak does indeed rock. It looked like filming was quite painful (and watching the special features they kind of confirm that it was).

CC

Last edited by a moderator:
Rarely in the history of film-making have so many people been elbowed on the top of the head so many times by one man. I enjoyed Ong Bak but was in hysterics at the frequency of this attack. :smile:

digitalwanderer said:
There is a scene in Tom Yum Goong (which is mistakenly called "Ong Bak II" at a lot of places, but the stories are totally unrelated) where Tony Ja fights his way up five flights of stairs in like a TOTALLY cool 10 minute pan shot.

They never break the angle, it's one continous shot....I can't imagine how hard that must have been to pull off but it sure was impressive as hell.

I think Tony Ja has got a hell of a career ahead of him.

Finally I got TYG. Didn't have much time hence seen only bits n pieces, saw that 10 mins scene. Just wow! It was like a video game. BTW, doesn't Tony Jaa fight like Hworang (TEKKEN).:smile:

I also liked his fight (Ong Bak) with the man who uses everything he could, chairs, tables, flower pots, glasses, bottles, neon-signboard:devilish: , a Fridge...that was awesome.:oops:

Ong Bak was good, I like that movie. Tom Yum Goong went abit too much and too long and was badly put together.

If you haven't seen it, Sha Po Lang (HK film) was also a good MA film to watch.

I liked the movie a lot too, but to say that we should then forget about movies like Jet Li's Fist of Legend (brilliant remake of Bruce Lee's Fist of Fury) is a bit much!

Actually, if he wants to join the ranks of Lee, Li, and Chan, he should probably also do a Fist of Fury remake, as all three of those have their own versions. :smile:

Anyway, it was surprisingly good - it had a certain gritty style that I digged - and I hope the fame and success of this movie will lead him on towards greater work still.

By the way, Hwoarang does Tae-Kwon-Do and most of his moves are based on 'official' Tae-Kwon-Do movies, so that should give you a clue as to whether Hwoarang and Tony have something in common.

Tony Jaa seems to do almost exclusively Muay Thai in Ong Bak, this is a style you can see in a certain cool white haired lady in Virtual Fighter 4, or the Bruce Irvin family of characters in Tekken.

Yes I have seen it...
I like how it was marketed as being 100% no special effects...
must have been a lot of hurt to those stunt people...
have you seen his other movie???
I think the title was Tom Yum Goong
The plot involves his elephant getting kidnapped...

Back