Happy B.Day to Kyle Bennett!

Guden Oden

Legend
Six years old as fulltime webguy! Wow! :)

I got my first PC summer of '97, so a few months before teh OCP first went online, and when I think back on the system I had then... Oye vey! It was a K6-166 (that I run at 75MHz bus for 208MHz), 4MB Tseng ET7k PCI graphics with MDRAM - whoah! 1.2GB/sec bandwidth!!! I had a SB AWE64 that never really worked OK (shite ISA PnP) and later a PowerVR PCX1 bought 2nd hand, which I overclocked to pieces and replaced with a PCX2 (also bought 2nd hand :)).

32MB... It felt unbelievably much then, but I soon upgraded to 64. I had a 3.2GB Quantum Fireball ATA-33 harddrive, because a 6.4 unit was too friggin expensive! I tossed away the original PC case just the other day btw. It was completely stripped, nothing of any value remained in it, I must have pulled out everything in the years that passed, where the frig it all went I'm not sure. Prolly buried somewhere deep inside my computer & console cardboard box closet.

The mobo was an ASUS TX97 ATX mobo, one of the first in ATX format, and that also supported ATA-33 and with smart monitoring - thermal probes AND 3-pin fan headers! WHOAH! High-tech stuff.

Weird. Today we have cellphones with more computing power than that. Heck, there's probably wrist watches with more... Our games consoles outclass supercomputers from that era, at least on paper (they probably get higher real-world figures though).

I still remember the times when I visited Kyle's and Anand's websites when they started them.

So long ago. So many changes...

Back