Halo [PC Ports]

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by OCASM, May 28, 2019.

1. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I'm not sure you can even run Halo PC from disk as it requires Games for Windows, IIRC. Hmmm, or did Games for Windows come after the first Halo on PC? Bleh, I'm getting too old to remember these things. :)

Regards,
    SB

2. snarfbot

Regular Newcomer

Hmm, I seem to recall having to download that thing now that you mention it. Was a huge PITA even then. Doesn't matter anyway because I lost it anyway lol.

I might be confusing it with the 360 controller software though, because you needed it for that as well I think.

3. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Halo PC came out years before GFWL.

Silent_Buddha likes this.
  4. Garrett Weaving

Newcomer

You are mixing it up with Halo 2 which did come with GFWL AFAIR, not to mention required Windows Vista.

5. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

GFWL didn't require a 360 controller. And using a USB 360 controller worked natively with Vista and beyond (and I think with XP too with SP3?). Only when using the wireless adapter and wireless controller do you need any specific software.

It's been a while since I tried installing Halo 2 on PC and seeing what the GFWL situation is. I almost want to say you still get a GFWL connection in order to get the game updates, but other than that, the service basically doesn't exist anymore.

6. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

The original Halo on PC doesn't require the disc to play once you install it. Don't know if it's a launch release feature or something patched in but it's nice :cool2:

It amazes me that a physical disc is still the only [legal] way to get your hands on the PC original.

7. Davros

Legend

8. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Interesting that they are showing the E3 2019 demo before E3. :) But I'm not complaining, I really want to be able to play this on PC.

Have been wanting to play it for a year or so now, but don't want to bother hooking up the X360 and even more don't want to play it with a controller.

Regards,
    SB

9. snarfbot

Regular Newcomer

Wow I guess I better dig through my moms
    Yea I had the wireless one, with the dongle. Still do someplace, probably with the halo disc in the attic or something.

10. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

The check was removed in one of the patches after a few years. edit: 1.08