AzBat

Agent of the Bat
Legend
Bungie is/was working on Halo for Nintendo DS:

13483_large.jpg

Video

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/345/C13483/

Tommy McClain

Matt at IGN has long talked about this as having been in the works a while back.

Matt at IGN has long talked about this as having been in the works a while back.

Yep, he posted a couple videos on his blog because he was pretty pissed off being called a liar on the interwebs regarding this, apparently. Seems he was under NDA before and couldn't discuss this. Timing seems... interesting, though (with regard to the Bungie/MS splitting rumors).

Yeah, I hadn't seen the 2005 date of the IGN videos when I posted that. I don't remember ever hearing about it back then, but I'm old and forget stuff too. LOL

Tommy McClain

Why would they CANCEL a game that belongs to one of the most successful franchises in the known universe, for a platform that's pretty much THE most successful platform in the universe? ;)

Doesn't make sense!

Unless it'sa MS ego thing that is..

Peace.

Why would they CANCEL a game that belongs to one of the most successful franchises in the known universe, for a platform that's pretty much THE most successful platform in the universe? ;)

Doesn't make sense!

A contingency plan in case the DS/PSP battle was close. Tilt it the way you want, so to speak.

Btw, those videos are dated 2005 BUT they are new. Don't let the date fool you. They mention Halo 3 just coming out ;) And Matt had bemoaned for the longest time not getting to reveal them, so definately new.

A contingency plan in case the DS/PSP battle was close. Tilt it the way you want, so to speak.

Btw, those videos are dated 2005 BUT they are new. Don't let the date fool you. They mention Halo 3 just coming out ;) And Matt had bemoaned for the longest time not getting to reveal them, so definately new.

According to him the plug was pulled on the project in late 2006. From what read between the lines, it also seemed not to be developed by Bungie, but rather outsourced to some third party.
Personally, I can see the problem with the title: Halo is the iconic franchise for MS's Xboxes (pl.!). Even though MS is not competing in the handheld market, it would still look weird marketing wise. Or maybe it was just a major disagreement over who gets what cut.

Maybe because MS has a portable game console? ;) Only kidding, you never know though.
But MS has intellectual property right?

According to him the plug was pulled on the project in late 2006. From what read between the lines, it also seemed not to be developed by Bungie, but rather outsourced to some third party.
Brian Jarrard said that he believed the whole Halo DS was an "unsolicited pitch a long time ago but [that] nothing ever came of it". In the words of Kotaku: "It may have been 'real' in the sense you could touch it. But not real in the sense it had nothing to do with Bungie". Of course, the comment might also be read as 'pitched by Bungie to MS' instead of the interpretation that it was 'pitched to Buingie/MS by some unknown third party'.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, I still have my Voodoo5's box, and yes there really is a Halo screenshot on the back of it! :) Ah, the memories.

Back