Guest user and viruses

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
I'd like to confirm something. Please don't scoff at me.

A Winxp "guest" user is infected with a virus or spyware. The virus, even the most advanced and lethal one, will not be able to bypass system security, thus infecting files in c:\windows...

mito said:
I'd like to confirm something. Please don't scoff at me.

A Winxp "guest" user is infected with a virus or spyware. The virus, even the most advanced and lethal one, will not be able to bypass system security, thus infecting files in c:\windows...
I wouldn't count on it. I'd say it depends on the state of the OS and the abilities of the virus. Guest users still run windows files and can access the registry so any virus they run can too, especially if the virus disables weaker virus software. Viruses can still write to the bootblock or use other OS loopholes to access files. If at some point a user with admin priveleges logs on and runs those same infected files, things will get even worse.

You need a decent anti-virus program, you can't just rely on user rights restrictions. Especially when so many programs need admin rights to install properly, so you can't just not ever use admin accounts for a lot of things.

Last edited by a moderator:
a virus running as user might use some flaw to gain root access. and it has the power to delete all the user's data. and fuck up all my games's .exe if it want to (even if I didn't used the Administrator account for everything, they aren't in program files. they even are on a FAT32 partition :))

It may not affecting files in the system directories, but it may modify files in other places (if these files are not set to read-only and owned by administrator). When you use administrator account to login and run these modified files, you are in trouble.

It's better to use virtualization to make sure a "guest" can't install bad programs on your computer. Limit the accessibility of the virtual machine to your system (such as assign a special directory for it to write something for data exchange) and you are probably safe.

Back