Great post with pics of VW Phaeton factory in Dresden

MuFu

Chief Spastic Baboon
Veteran
I have visited the Phaeton assembly plant in Dresden several times, and thoroughly enjoyed each visit. The building and grounds are beautiful, and the whole process of both making and selling Phaetons is totally different than that for any other car in the world.

dresden14wt.jpg

dresden85kd.jpg

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1837641

very impressive, but the best part is Nissan using VW Phaeton factory on their poster advert for Armada :LOL:

A turd is still a turd, even if it passes through the most beautiful woman in the world.

(VWs are "OK" but the attempt to turn it into a luxury brand is laughable).

CosmoKramer said:
A turd is still a turd, even if it passes through the most beautiful woman in the world.

(VWs are "OK" but the attempt to turn it into a luxury brand is laughable).

Volkswagon engineers seemed to have managed OK in the luxury brand segment with the Bugatti Veyron. If the engineering base is sound market perceptions will follow in time.

Shogun said:
Volkswagon engineers seemed to have managed OK in the luxury brand segment with the Bugatti Veyron. If the engineering base is sound market perceptions will follow in time.

Branding != engineering.

Phaeton seems to be by far the best quality and vaule proposition in that segment?!?! apparently because of the manufacturing process etc... but the conservatice styling, brand and apparently the model naming are killing the sales big time. It is only popular in Korea where the car market brands are not entrenched in public mind as elswhere.

As I have said in a previous thread, I never understood the Phaeton. (Yeah, I know, it's more a 'politically motivated' car...) I mean - this car has written Audi all over it.
At least, they should have incorporated the Alu Frame from the A8. 2,5t is just a bit too much - and as far as I've read (haven't had the chance to drive one yet), it shows - esp. in comparison with other high-end limousines (Merc. S, BMW 7, Audi A8 etc.)

But the factory really is impressive.

having seen the Phaeton up close and personal at last year's auto show I thought it was a pretty amazing vehicle. like others have said its more like a wayward audi than a VW. The W-12 engine is awesome too, but I had serious doubts that you could get anyone to pay A8 prices for a VW car. unfortunately it appears as though those misgivings bore a bitter fruit. a coworker of mine thought the rear styling of the car looked far too ordinary and badly hurt the overall effect. but what should I worry I seriously doubt ill ever drive anything that nice let alone own one!

but if I had to pick id go Maybach...weighs slightly less than the Tiger tanks that used to use their engines but has nearly the 0-60 speed of a stock Corvette or so ive heard.

Solzhenitsyn said:
but if I had to pick id go Maybach...weighs slightly less than the Tiger tanks that used to use their engines but has nearly the 0-60 speed of a stock Corvette or so ive heard.

well, with 612hp and 1000 Nm that should not be a problem... ;)

This factory looks like a gimmick to me. It certainly looks very sleek, modernist, but geared almost as a tourist attraction, as if they should stick a cafe and wifi hotspot on the manufacturing floor so people can watch cars being assembled as they sip cappuachinos, and run a few boutique fashion stores selling high end ladies handbags around the periphery. I mean, how many cars can this factory produce compared to say, a Japanese factory with heavy industrial robots?

Yes, "hand made" still seems to resonate with some people, but the work is still repetitive Taylorist style monotony no matter how much you spuce up the environment, it is still an assembly line, and the same car, with few options changed, is being built. I'd rather the "hands" of the human element be on a keyboard, and their eyes be on defects and test results, rather than imaging that quality emanates from making sure people tighten bolts themselves with power tools.

DemoCoder said:
This factory looks like a gimmick to me. It certainly looks very sleek, modernist, but geared almost as a tourist attraction, as if they should stick a cafe and wifi hotspot on the manufacturing floor so people can watch cars being assembled as they sip cappuachinos, and run a few boutique fashion stores selling high end ladies handbags around the periphery.

Its primary function was to attract customers and offer them a bit "different" experience, just like the Mercedes museum and the new Porsche museum being currently built in Stuttgart. But obviously, it didn't work out that well...

_xxx_ said:
new Porsche museum being currently built in Stuttgart.
Presumably the new one will be somewhat better than the old one that I visited about 12 years ago - it was dull! :)

Simon F said:
Presumably the new one will be somewhat better than the old one that I visited about 12 years ago - it was dull! :)

No idea what it will look like but it is supposed to be quite a bit nicer, though not much bigger.

Back