GRAW 2: Photo realism thanks to Ambient Occlusion and High Dynamic Range Lighting

FP10 is HDR, although it has a low level of precision. But it does offer a greater range then 24-bit integer RGB color space, which means it supports light intensity values far higher then 1.0, and it's quality is still better then 24-bit.

Also, I think technically NAO32 is HDR too, although I'm not sure how its precision relates to FP10.

If I recall correctly I think NAO32 is higher precision than even FP16 (FP16 is ofcourse higher precision than FP10).

FP10 whilst technically can be used for HDR is nearly the worse HDR u can imagine
nao32 i believe is based on logluv32 which is a far superior format

FP10 whilst technically can be used for HDR is nearly the worse HDR u can imagine
nao32 i believe is based on logluv32 which is a far superior format

I think it is more of a compressed format, that maybe is 80-90% as good as the "real thing" (ie, a approximation).

The 360 is specially designed for it though, and therefore can throw it around like candy with little to no performance hit. Niiiice.

These GRAW 2 shots grow more impressive with time imo. It's nice to see some graphical improvement in 2nd gen games.

http://www.xboxfront.de/show_picture_galerie.php?id=1213&nid=2969&nr=28773&name=Tom

This shot is particularly impressive to me. It looks much like original GRAW (so you know that it is do-able), yet with tons of improvements. Even brings to mind the dreaded Killzone.

I think it is more of a compressed format, that maybe is 80-90% as good as the "real thing" (ie, a approximation).
well theyre all approximations to some degree ( like everything in cgi :) )
i assume youre talking about fp10
well its the same size as logluv32 (logluv24 is even smaller + its still higher quality than fp10)
what fp10 does buy u though is its gonna be a bit cheaper than logluv32

well theyre all approximations to some degree ( like everything in cgi :) )
i assume youre talking about fp10
well its the same size as logluv32 (logluv24 is even smaller + its still higher quality than fp10)
what fp10 does buy u though is its gonna be a bit cheaper than logluv32

NAO32 converts the RGB colorspace to a LUV (or YUV) colorspace. Its idea is that the luminance (L or Y) is more important in HDR. IIRC, the chroma components (UV) are represented as fixed point numbers with limited range. Also, it does consume at least 3 to 5 cycles of shader performance to convert between the colorspaces.

I think if RSX supported a reasonable HDR solution in the hardware (e.g. FP10), I'd think they would have just used it instead. The problem for PS3 was that there was no reasonable straight-forward hardware solution for HDR (and AA). Thus a shader-based solution.

Hong.

NAO32 converts the RGB colorspace to a LUV (or YUV) colorspace. Its idea is that the luminance (L or Y) is more important in HDR.
which it measurably is

I think if RSX supported a reasonable HDR solution in the hardware (e.g. FP10), I'd think they would have just used it instead.
hard to say, u agree that fp10 is a lot lower quality than logluv32, right?, its the old choice of speed vs quality

in fact calling fp10 hdr is the same as calling the kittyhawk a airplane( not the first airplane but the most famous btw ) , technically it might of achieved powerer flight but it still doesnt change the fact its crap :oops:

u agree that fp10 is a lot lower quality than logluv32, right?

Not really. First, define "a lot". I agree that NAO32 would have a better (how much better?) luminance accuracies, but I don't know about the chroma accuracies. Also conversions between colorspaces in finite accuracy number systems may cause some losses.

its the old choice of speed vs quality

This, I agree. However, I don't see any real reason an Xbox 360 developers would implement NAO32. On the other hand, a PS3 developer would probably want to.

On the same note, FP10 is also "the old choice of speed vs. quality"... Nothing new in any engineering work.

in fact calling fp10 hdr is the same as calling the kittyhawk a airplane( not the first airplane but the most famous btw ) , technically it might of achieved powerer flight but it still doesnt change the fact its crap :oops:

I think you are being too dramatic to make your own point. I wouldn't call it "crap". A 7-bit mantissa and a 3-bit exponent aren't that bad. Sure it would have been nicer if the GPUs used in the current consoles could do acceptable FP16. But they (Xenos or RSX) can't. That's just the limitation of this generation of consoles that developers have to live with.

So, I guess you are trying to call GRAW (1 or 2 or any other Xbox 360 games so far) "crap" because it's just using FP10 instead of doing FP16 or NAO32 (with an impact on the shaper performance). Different strokes for different people, I guess.

I think NAO32 is an ingenious engineering for PS3. My point was just that if PS3 developers had other options (like Xbox 360 developers do), they may not have to come up with it.

Hong.

See: HDR the Bungie Way @ Gamefest 2006 Graphics Track. While FP10 can be implimented much like FP16 (something else the 360 supports) to create HDR effects, it can also be used as an element of a broader HDR solution that leverages the positives of the tradeoffs while attempting to avoid the pitfalls. And as nAo has said in the past, NOA32 is something 360 and PC devs could invest in as well on their platforms. FP10 is just more offerings at the buffet for platforms that support it. Use what fits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back