GONZO's DEAD

StefanS

meandering Velosoph
Veteran
Hunter S. Thompson, the maverick journalist and author whose savage chronicling of the underbelly of American life and politics embodied a new kind of nonfiction writing he called "gonzo journalism," died yesterday in Colorado. Tricia Louthis, of the Pitkin County Sheriff's Office, said Mr. Thompson had died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at his home in Woody Creek, Colo., yesterday afternoon. He was 65

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/21/books/21hunter.html?hp

Sad day. One of the funniest, wittiest and craziest writers comitts suicide. :cry:

EDIT:Link

Maybe he was terminally ill or something. I know that if I was coming down with alzheimer's or such, I would seriously consider something like that... I've no wish to spend perhaps decades at the end of my life a doddering, gibbering fool.

Hmmm.. sucks when someone commits suicide especially if there isn't any compelling reason such as alzheimers as was mentioned.

RussSchultz said:
Whatever it was, it certainly was compelling enough for him.
Yeah, exactly.

I have a feeling we will find out more later, HST wasn't the type to hide his feelings....I'm pretty sure he left some form of suicide note/message.

We'll just have to wait a while to find out, right now the family will be too busy freaking/grieving to be much worried about getting that info out. :(

I don't know if one of you ever has read "Songs of the Doomed", but the first story was one of the funniest, most absurd stories I had the pleasure to read and better yet it still remained highly political.

Sorry, but I have heard crazy stuff before so I never take things at face value but wait a bit to see if any other strange things crop up around them

To use his own words:

There he goes... one of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Really sad.

digitalwanderer said:
I'm sure there is a compelling reason, it's just we don't know it yet. :?

He probably couldn't take Four more years (to be fair he loathed most/all politicians.)

Cheers
Gubbi

Gubbi said:
There he goes... one of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production.
Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
"But he walked on his own hind legs when he walked with the King." -HST

Currently his freinds and relatives are looking for a cannon to blow his ash right into the atmosphere :LOL: He knows how to go in style...

Back