Gizmondo gets an upgrade?

Clashman

Regular
It apparently now is using a GoForce 4500 as it's 3d processor. If this thing had phone functionality, it would probably be what the NGage should have been. It still needs a price tag about 250 dollars lower and a hell of a lot more games to compete with DS and PSP, but an interesting development nonetheless.

http://www.gizmondo.com/unit/specifications.asp
TFT screen ~ 240 x 320 pixels
400 Mhz ARM9 from Samsung
128-bit 3D Graphics accelerator from Nvidia
GPS tracking application
GPS mapping application
MP3 playback
MIDI/WAV formats
SMS
Speaker
Windows Media Player 9
MPEG 4 video playback
JPEG camera
SD flash card reader
Mini-USB client
Bluetooth class 2 for multiplayer gaming
Temperature range 0°C to 55°C
Removable SIM card
Removable battery
Polyphonic ring tones
Stereo headset socket for MP3 and games
Flight Mode
GSM tri-band
GPRS Class 10
WAP 2.0
MMS receive and send

Clashman said:
If this thing had phone functionality, it would probably be what the NGage should have been.

Well err what are these for then?

Removable SIM card
Removable battery
Polyphonic ring tones
Flight Mode
GSM tri-band
GPRS Class 10
WAP 2.0
MMS receive and send

I started several threads earlier this year about the GoForce 3D 4500 in the Gizmondo. This is old old news.

In a related note, The "giz" will be in the MS booth at CES in january, and I'll be there to check it out! I haven't seen it in person since E3 (pre nVidia).

Should be interesting, even though it's more of a morbid curiosity than anything else since it's gonna be just another a smear on the pavement thanks to PSP.

xmu said:
Clashman said:
If this thing had phone functionality, it would probably be what the NGage should have been.

Removable SIM card
Removable battery
Polyphonic ring tones
Flight Mode
GSM tri-band
GPRS Class 10
WAP 2.0
MMS receive and send

Well, I was curious about that too. Because despite those being listed, using it as a phone isn't mentioned at all in the features list, and you'd think they'd want to highlight that if it could do it. I think it does mention something though about being to download games on it via a "mobile phone network" as well as text messages, though, so perhaps that's what it is used for. If it is a phone, I'd be curious to find out how you dial numbers on it. It doesn't appear to have enough buttons, and also doesn't seem to have a touch screen or anything of that sort, nor does it appear to have a mic input, which would generally come in handy when making phone calls.

xmu said:
Messaging and GPS functions, I guess. And perhaps the ability to add in phone features later, though I don't know why they wouldn't put it in to begin with (though a headset if nothing else) considering the thing's featureset.

Clashman said:
It still needs a price tag about 250 dollars lower
Indeed.
[url=http://www.gizmondo.com/storepublic/Store.aspx said:
Gizmondo official shop[/url]]For use in the US. Requires SIM for operation.
This package includes:
Charger
Head Set (Standard)
User CD
Battery (Standard 1100mAH)
USB Cable

£229.00 $419.12 €329.10
(excl. VAT)

Clashman said:
It apparently now is using a GoForce 4500 as it's 3d processor. If this thing had phone functionality, it would probably be what the NGage should have been. It still needs a price tag about 250 dollars lower and a hell of a lot more games to compete with DS and PSP, but an interesting development nonetheless.
[/quote]

You're a bit late gizmondo has been out for a while with no games. They are marketing it as a portable xbox.

There was a video released with the latest footage, didnt look much beeter than the tapwave. But they still have time to optimize things.

I realize it's been out for awhile, and that the info isn't new to most people. However, there hasn't really been any dedicated topic on it here, and so I figured I'd make one.

Back