Gameboy Advance devkits advice

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
(If this thread is too much for B3D or against the rules please delete it, I wasn't sure and thought it was a kind of grey area)

I just posted this up over at EB where I'd been getting some advice on it before:

This 512Mb EZFlash II for $135 or Flash2Advance Ultra 1GB & USB Cable for $150?

My first instinct is to get the 1Gb, but I remember everyone telling me EZFlash II was the best brand name. (I think, my memory sucks. :oops: )

EDITED BITS: I also found a "X-ROM 512Mb SET" for $84, but me geeksenses gave me warning tingles on it for some reason. :?

Off to hunt up some reviews!
Anyone try any of these or heard anything about them? It's for my son's 8th birthday. :oops:

The names of these products sound like they're intended for illegal piracy of GBA games. Just Say No, support your developers, winners don't use drugs etc. :p

Nah, I wouldn't do that...I just want them so I can back up a few games of his onto one cartridge and will let him save when he wants and switch games and such.

And they're great for things like giving yourself unlimited lives when you're stuck. ;)

They're even better to run 3rd party programs on your gba, check out the gba music player program.

I bought 2 months ago a 1gb + 256 mb Ez Flash 3 cart for 120$. It works great. It has a 256 zone for roms that are 256 megabits (although you can put there smaller roms) and a 1 gigabit zone to store 128mbits or smaller games. This zone can use compresion, and have the size of the rom halved.

digitalwanderer said:
Me homies over at EB are recomending me the 256Mb EZFlash II telling me 256Mb are more than enough for what I want to do. (Just back up all their games onto one cartridge for 'em)

I figure I can get two 256Mb for the price of one 1Gb, and this way they'll both be set.

Is there any real advantages to getting larger ones? And is EZF II the best like I've been hearing or is there really not much difference?

256 mbits enough? Don't think so. Remember, they're megabits, not megaBYTES. The 1 gb cart = 128 MBytes. LOTS and LOTS of roms are sized at 128 mbits, so with a 256 cart you can only have 2 128 roms or 1 256 rom. It's not enough for me.

Apoc said:
digitalwanderer said:
Me homies over at EB are recomending me the 256Mb EZFlash II telling me 256Mb are more than enough for what I want to do. (Just back up all their games onto one cartridge for 'em)

I figure I can get two 256Mb for the price of one 1Gb, and this way they'll both be set.

Is there any real advantages to getting larger ones? And is EZF II the best like I've been hearing or is there really not much difference?

256 mbits enough? Don't think so. Remember, they're megabits, not megaBYTES. The 1 gb cart = 128 MBytes. LOTS and LOTS of roms are sized at 128 mbits, so with a 256 cart you can only have 2 128 roms or 1 256 rom. It's not enough for me.

Problem is, the larger carts usually won't properly play GBA games.(512Mbit is often the limit)

Fox5 said:
Apoc said:
digitalwanderer said:

Problem is, the larger carts usually won't properly play GBA games.(512Mbit is often the limit)

Not a single problem with my gbit cart. Works better than my 256 Ez Flash 2 Powerstar.

Back