G70, G71, R520, R580 die size discrepancy

:oops:
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/video/g71-part2.html

Using the new beta of RivaTuner we found out that G73 contains four quads instead of three (16 pipelines)! One quad is just disabled (locked on the hardware level and cannot be unlocked). It all means that in future we may see something like 7600 GTX with 16 pixel pipelines, as the process technology is streamlined. In that case there will rise a question whether the memory bandwidth is sufficient for this core (the bus is 128-bit). But first of all, it's just an assumption, such GPU may be never launched; secondly, as memory prices go down, these cards may be equipped with the fastest memory, which will make up for the narrow bus; thirdly, there appear new games, which require GPU performance in the first place, not memory bandwidth; fourthly, there is some chance that designers made a mistake in registers and that's why the program detects an extra quad, which does not exist (that's not likely, but to err is human).

trumphsiao said:
fourthly, there is some chance that designers made a mistake in registers and that's why the program detects an extra quad, which does not exist (that's not likely, but to err is human).
Or the architecture was changed and they didn't tell Rivatuner about it.

serenity said:
According to Nvidia, G71 is 190mm2.

Yes, I'm nitpicking. ;)

I'm wondering is there any possibility that we will see a optical shrink G71/G73(80nm) version in this year ?
Is there anyone can pinpoint the minimum Die Size required for 256bit GPU ?

Thx

Last edited by a moderator:
trumphsiao said:
I'm wondering is there any possibility that we will see a optical shrink G71/G73(80nm) version in this year ?
Is there anyone can pinpoint the minimum Die Size required for 256bit GPU ?
All depends upon when nVidia plans to release the G80. As for the minimum die size, I'd recommend you look through B3D's GPU tables and find the smallest die with a 256-bit bus.

Back