Future of PS Vita is Streaming and Indie

Nintendo just does the portable versions first. New Super Mario Brothers was on DS, then home consoles. Mario 3D Land was on 3DS before WiiU got 3D World. Smash Brother is coming to 3DS and months later the WiiU version will come out. In each of these cases the portable games will be superseded by better home console versions in the same way you suggest Vita games are, Nintendo is just better at tricking people into buying both versions anyway.

^true in some cases, but there's still nothing like A Link between Worlds on the Wii or WIiU, and then there's of course all the handheld exclusives like the Fire Emblems, the Laytons, the Luigi's Whatevers, the Animal Crossings etc.
Now compare that to the Vita where almost every big title had a superior or at least equally good console game for a fraction of the money by the time the Vita version was released. Golf, Tennis, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Wipeout you name it.
Releasing an improved version of a game a year later also isn't at all the same as releasing an inferior one later down the road. Regardless of whether I do or don't own the "inferior" version already, the shinier one looming on the horizon would still be tempting. If I already have the better one however, why would I bother with paying a premium for somehing that was dumbed down much later?

Sigfried, you hit the nail with "inferior".
that is what i get when i know there's uncharted in vita and see the trailer. Why i want to play on vita if i get better on on PS3?

its the first impression. i still dont know the real impression, my vita still has not delivered to me. hopefully my 1st impression is wrong and i will be blown away by Uncharted GA.

^true in some cases, but there's still nothing like A Link between Worlds on the Wii or WIiU, and then there's of course all the handheld exclusives like the Fire Emblems, the Laytons, the Luigi's Whatevers, the Animal Crossings etc.
Now compare that to the Vita where almost every big title had a superior or at least equally good console game for a fraction of the money by the time the Vita version was released. Golf, Tennis, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Wipeout you name it.
Releasing an improved version of a game a year later also isn't at all the same as releasing an inferior one later down the road. Regardless of whether I do or don't own the "inferior" version already, the shinier one looming on the horizon would still be tempting. If I already have the better one however, why would I bother with paying a premium for somehing that was dumbed down much later?

Why bother gaming on a mobile device at all? ;)

I like Rayman and Persona better on the Vita than the PS3 or even PS4.

EDIT:
I also liked the Vita Uncharted better than U3.

^true in some cases, but there's still nothing like A Link between Worlds on the Wii or WIiU

Not yet, anyway. I wouldn't be so sure there won't be.

and then there's of course all the handheld exclusives like the Fire Emblems, the Laytons, the Luigi's Whatevers, the Animal Crossings etc.

And Vita has Tearaway and Freedom Wars and Soul Sacrifice and Gravity Rush.

Actually, LBP Vita is considered by many the best game in the franchise. Super Stardust Delta was also better than the PS3 version.

I don't know. Maybe because you want to play something on the go? I don't disagree that Nintendo's method is superior, but it's also an incredibly canny business strategy, not some altruistic genius. Just about every argument used to condemn the Vita can be modified to apply to the 3DS. Why buy a worse Vita version of an HD game? -> Why buy a 3DS game when there's bound to be a better Wii U version down the line? Nothing about Uncharted needs to be on a portable. -> Nothing about Pokemon needs to be on a portable.

Broadly speaking, there's not really that much separating what the two platforms attempt to provide. People just love Nintendo software and are willing to give them a pass for all the same stuff they take Sony to task for.

I like Rayman and Persona better on the Vita than the PS3 or even PS4.

EDIT:
I also liked the Vita Uncharted better than U3.

Guacamelee and Zen Pinball are also great on Vita, and Spelunky. I loved Mortal Kombat as well. It looked worse but it played better thanks to a great d-pad and super fast screen.

And yes, Tearaway is amazing! I personally preferred the PS3 version of super stardust, especially endless mode is amazing on PS3.

Plenty of really great gaming

I don't disagree that Nintendo's method is superior, but it's also an incredibly canny business strategy, not some altruistic genius. Just about every argument used to condemn the Vita can be modified to apply to the 3DS. Why buy a worse Vita version of an HD game? -> Why buy a 3DS game when there's bound to be a better Wii U version down the line? Nothing about Uncharted needs to be on a portable. -> Nothing about Pokemon needs to be on a portable.

Who says anything about altruism? Nintendo with their overpriced and archaic garbage hardware is certainly the last company I'd call altruistic.

Still, there's a huge difference between "Maybe there'll be a better version some day, but damn it, I wann a play it now" and "I now there's been a better version out there for years that can be had for pennies now, but I'm gonna buy the inferior version anyways".

Sony's comsumer-comes-first PS4 strategy wasn't altruistic either. That doesn't mean I didn't prefer it infinitely to MS's we're-gonna-bum-rape-you-and-you-better-like-it approach.

Guacamelee and Zen Pinball are also great on Vita, and Spelunky. I loved Mortal Kombat as well. It looked worse but it played better thanks to a great d-pad and super fast screen.

And yes, Tearaway is amazing! I personally preferred the PS3 version of super stardust, especially endless mode is amazing on PS3.

Plenty of really great gaming

And almost all of them you play just about anywhere else too. That's the problem. Simply having a portable version of a console game may be enough for a bunch of people, but obviously not for an awful lot of them.

And almost all of them you play just about anywhere else too. That's the problem. Simply having a portable version of a console game may be enough for a bunch of people, but obviously not for an awful lot of them.

I think the money is simply going to smartphones before anything else. If a good mobile gaming experience was priority, or if the Vita was a prime multi-media device like the PSP was in its day (it's basically still better than the Vita right now in some ways), it would have sold much, much better I'm sure. But I know a lot of teens who sell their Xbox's to pay for a 600 euro smartphone ... and it's generally not primarily for the games either.

As for SSD - Endless Mode was my favorite on Super Stardust, and that doesn't have any bosses at all. The PSP version also had a quite impressive Endless Mode, by the way.

Probably true, but I'm still pissed that Sony has basically given up on the thing without putting up at least a little bit of a fight. I mean they abandoned the thing pretty much the moment they released it. Remember the post Vita release E3? "We just released a new system, so here's a shit ton of PS3 games! - Vita games? - oh, come on, don't be silly" What kind of a message does that send?

Don't forget that Unity SDK with app store like self-publishing is going live soon.

There was never a lot of belief in Vita in the short term in the US even from Sony internally, I think the surprise for Sony was how poorly it did in Japan.
In the US outside the development Sony was paying for, they just couldn't get 3rd party support.

For exactly the same reasons we gave when discussing it way back then. Few people want an expensive core gaming handheld along with their expensive smartphone. One portable is good enough, with people preferring a lesser game experience for the convenience and reduced price of just a smartphone.

btw after playing around with vita, currently Vita have its own distinct game feel. its hard to describe, but if i say... games on vita is more "serious" than on 3DS.
i mean, yeah on 3DS there's bravely default thats really serious, but that game is can be played pretty calmly.

if vita have both serious and not serious games, i dont think i will be playing on 3DS at all. Vita have better screen, better audio (works with my bluetooth headphone), more comfortable hand. is it really too expensive for Sony to give money to devs to port their 3DS game to Vita?

and with the focus on playing PS4 games on Vita... then vita will have even more serious games...

Back