Fuel cells and other portable power sources

Frank

Certified not a majority
Veteran
If I want to take one of my laptops or other stuff that consumes power on a trip, the only source of power generally available is my car battery. Or wall sockets, of course. But the only way to power random stuff for extended periods out in the country seems to be taking lots and lots of all kinds of spare batteries with you.

Ok, I can make things more universal by taking a single, large 12 V battery with me, and lots of converters / transformers, to 230 V AC as well. Which doubles the losses. Which seems to be a waste and not save me much in terms of space and/or running time. And while it does allow me to only use the stuff I want to use, it still limits the time seriously.

Isn't there something better, like a fuel cell, that I can resupply with a can of fuel? Essentially extending the running time to the amount of fuel I take with me? And small and light, if possible.

http://laptop.org/
Too bad you need to buy them in lots of 1 million. ;)

I think hey69's idea with the cycle actually could be useful if it's developed a bit. (Bringing a whole bike might be "a bit" difficult sometimes.)
I wonder how small you can make a foldable thingy with a generator and bicycle pedals that generates <looks at my laptops PSU> 100 W or so.

100 W on a bike is a rather easy ride, and the laptop will usually need a lot less.

I don't know how distracting it'll be to keep moving the legs while sitting at the computer though. Quite so if you want to have the laptop in you lap, I believe. :D

There has been an earlier project to bring radios to every corner of the world (also with a crank). They were sold in developed countries at a signficantly higher price, and the gains were used to subvention them in developing countries.

And looking at the OLPC FAQ:
OLPC FAQ said:
Will OLPC spin-off a commercial subsidiary?

The idea is that a commercial subsidiary could manufacture and sell a variation of the OLPC in the developed world. These units would be marked up so that there would be a significant profit which can be plowed into providing more units in countries who cannot afford the full cost of one million machines.
The discussions around this have talked about a retail price of 3× the cost price of the units.
The obvious problem is that from the manufacters POV, this project is about reaching a market that wouldn't have bought a PC otherwise. So it's economically feasible to reduce their gains significantly. But they definitely don't want to swamp the market in developed countries with super cheap PCs, competing with their own more expensive parts.

I wouldn't mind if they added the crank to other computing thingys, like UMPC's. But I must admit that it's hard to get a good feeling for how much you'd need to crank to keep various stuff running.

DiGuru said:
Isn't there something better, like a fuel cell, that I can resupply with a can of fuel? Essentially extending the running time to the amount of fuel I take with me? And small and light, if possible.
I did see a portable fuel cell pop up on engadget a couple weeks ago that looked pretty small and neat. Here you go mate...

I would assume that thing costs an arm and a leg, but maybe you can afford it. :p Also, I dunno if its power output is enough for your needs, but hey... At least I tried, hehe.

Guden Oden said:
I did see a portable fuel cell pop up on engadget a couple weeks ago that looked pretty small and neat. Here you go mate...

I would assume that thing costs an arm and a leg, but maybe you can afford it. :p Also, I dunno if its power output is enough for your needs, but hey... At least I tried, hehe.
Thanks, but $7,495.00 is a bit over my budget... :)

It seems that waiting until Toshiba delivers is the best option. But they promise one "next year" for four or five years in a row so far, and they still have to come with the first one.

DiGuru said:
Thanks, but $7,495.00 is a bit over my budget... :)
Haha, I thought it would be expensive, but that is rediculous! You might as well simply buy an extension cord long enough to reach wherever you're going for that kind of money... :LOL:

DudeMiester said:
I think the idea is to sell them commercially to developed nations, not the poor ones.

True. But not if you look at it on all levels. The main objective of the project is that every child should have a computer, and not to earn any big bucks. So the OLPC organization is not in it for the money. But I'm quite sure that Quantas, who will actually build them is. Same thing for the companies that makes the components (which is the same components that is used for commersial products*).

To make the PC cheap, OLPC has probably got good deals from all their providers. And the reason they got these good deals is then partly because it's for a good thing, and partly because it targets a new market where it doesn't compete with the providers other goals.

(*) Some parts are actually designed just for this PC. Like the display.

Back