Framerate in recent console games

evil

Newcomer
Something I've noticed on my GameCube is that many recent games (NFS, Spyro, BG, Clone Wars, many more) seem to be rushed out with a really bad framerate. Things like this never happened on previous consoles I played games on (Gameboy, SEGA Genesis, around that time..). Yet, other games like SMS or Metroid show that the GC is perfectly capable of rendering high-detail graphics at very good framerates leading me to believe the developers just don't bother optimizing it anymore. I was looking forward to Baldur's Gate for GC until I heared that too has a sucky framerate. Why are they doing this ? Rushing out for Christmas ? How's the situation on other consoles ? I suspect the same but don't have any :)

One reason I got a console is because I didn't want to suffer bad framerates anymore, now this.... pfffft.

All of the games you mentioned such as "(NFS, Spyro, BG, Clone Wars, many more)" are multplatform, I'm not too surprised that the framerate stutters. The same thing can be said of some of the ports for XBOX/PS2. Turok for example seems to stutter more in PS2/XBOX than GC. MGS2S also stutters on the XBOX, while the PS2 doesn't have any problem.... simply because the game engine was develop specifically for the PS2 in the first place.

Games like SMS and Metroid are made with the GC hardware in mind, you don't have to take other hardware(PC, XBOX, PS2) limitation in mind when doing those games.

It's usually best to avoid ports if you can.
However not all multi-console games are rushed ports.

Some multi-platform games do play fine if the developer cares enough. Madden 2003 and Timesplitters 2 are a couple of noteworthy examples.

Back