First of the cheap Tegra2 Tablet

Tahir2

Veteran
Supporter
OK so here we go, the Advent Vega ushers in the NVIDIA Tegra2 tablet for the mass market - at £250 it is priced very competitively.

http://androidcommunity.com/advent-vega-tablet-hands-on-video-20101013

So far so good, and at that price point quite interesting too.

10.1 Capacative Touchscreen
Android 2.2 Froyo
1GHz Tegra 2 chipset
4GB storage as standard
Wifi (no 3G model yet)
1.3 MPix front facing camera

Only issue is Advent themselves, known for cutting corners but with the software end taken care of by Google it can't be that bad.

A rather more sensible price than the Galaxy Tab, it must be said even though it may lack 3G connectivity.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for Android apps specifically supporting Tab-sized devices to come into being. Also, I wonder if we'll see a strong mod community springing up to support these devices as we have seen for mobile phones?

Is that much cheaper than iPad?

How is the service and support from these no-name companies? Or is it so cheap that if it breaks down, you write it off as an experience?

You figure Samsung has a service infrastructure and they added some value with the software layer they wrote on top, although many geeks probably want to mod it to install other stuff.

It's not too far off half the price of an iPad. Advent sell PCs in the stores in the UK where this will be sold - it won't be anything special, just a rebranded OEM device but it will come with a year's warranty. Obviously, the whole iPad software infrastructure will be way ahead to start off with but as Android tabs such as this become more commonplace, I'd expect the mod community to improve things a fair bit. The Tegra2 ought to have a fair bit more oomph than either the iPad or Samsung tab, I believe? (Assuming it is the dual-core Cortex-A9)

The problem with the Samsung one for me is not just the price, but also the smaller size. In this sort of device, I can't help but think 10.1 inches is better than 7 inches. As the actress said to the bishop...

Back