Fight clubs for geeks!

_xxx_

Banned
They may sport love handles and Ivy League degrees, but every two weeks, some Silicon Valley techies turn into vicious street brawlers in a real-life, underground fight club.

Kicking, punching and swinging every household object imaginable -- from frying pans and tennis rackets to pillowcases stuffed with soda cans -- they beat each other mercilessly in a garage in this bedroom community south of San Francisco.

Then, bloodied and bruised, they limp back to their desks in the morning.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/29/fight.club.ap/index.html

Real-life fight clubs, sounds kinda cool...

Thanks [H] for the linkage.

All day long these guys think they're the captains of the universe, technical wizards. They're brilliant but empty. They want to feel differently. They want to get hit, they want to feel something real.

I doubt it. If they were such good coders, their work would speak to them and they wouldn't need to compensate by beating each other up. I'd like to laugh at the "genius" that gets brain damage because of this.

Ahh, the good old search for meaning.

It's one thing to commit violence with/against a nerd but another when it's some steroided freak too full of anger and muscle.

Luckily I think I fall between these two extremes. Any trouble? The nerds get my patented "rhino stopper" and the steroided freaks get a witty barb before I run off...

DudeMiester said:
I doubt it. If they were such good coders, their work would speak to them and they wouldn't need to compensate by beating each other up. I'd like to laugh at the "genius" that gets brain damage because of this.

So being good at coding means you don't enjoy releasing aggression or facing challenging and dangerous situations? Nonsense. I question their means of stimulating emotion and finding release, but suggesting that they wouldn't need to do this if they were smart ("good coders") or that they do this because they aren't smart is rather ignorant and smug.

Being powerful or clever (or simply good at something) isn't the same as having a rewarding, fulfilling life.

function said:
Being powerful or clever (or simply good at something) isn't the same as having a rewarding, fulfilling life.

I assume that if you are a truely good coder, you write fufilling code. It becomes an art form, and an avenue of expression. At least that's how it is for me. Either way, I still think it's foolish.

Back